Wow! Canned air is fun!
Jun 6, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
lol, they're on to me! Are they police or something?

Not that I know of (I think JML teaches law), but they live and drive in PA. Gotta warn them if they see a nutty kid wearing HD600s, driving real fast, and laughing his head off they know its andrzejpw.
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #17 of 36
lol, they're on to me! Are they police or something?

I'll be watching for you! And I'll have a loaded pen cap just in case you get too close
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #18 of 36
I've lived in five states. Each one has unique drivers. He won't stand out at all. [sigh]

It's the signs you have to watch out for in PA. They put them after the exit. (Arkansas didn't bother with signs. If you needed them, you had no business being on the road.) (Boston has signs, but the drivers don't read them; if they do, they just laugh.) (In Virginia, I overheard the examiner tell a kid that he failed his road test because he came to his first stop sign and stopped; but he didn't start again.) (In New York, well, that's where I learned to drive!)

Jun 6, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
where do you get this??

you can get it at Bog & Ide but they charge an arm and a leg, I don't know where else...

Jun 7, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #21 of 36
Are we talking about the canned air (oxygen) that is sold in clubs? or are we talking about the 'air-blaster' canisters that are used to clean dust and stuff out of computers?

Jun 7, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #22 of 36
The 'canned air' in question is cans of compressed tetrafluoroethane, a heavy chemical that is an inert gas at room temperature. If you turn the can upside down and spray it, liquid tetrafluoroethane from the bottom of the can comes out, which proceeds to rapidly evaporate in the lower pressure outside the can. This process is highly endothermic, which makes it very cold. If you spray things, they freeze, until the bit of liquid tetrafluoroethane evaporates.

Its used for cleaning out electronics, give it a blast of the 'air' and it blows dust away! Very useful. As another interesting tidbit, you can huff it. NOT recommended. I had a friend who was rather addicted to it, and would huff 'duster' on a regular basis. He quit though. Its funny, because he's a computer tech, what sort of drug addictions do computer techs get? Well, addicted to the computer cleaning stuff, of course!
rolleyes.gif

Liquid helium doesn't come in cans, its way too pressurized. Even liquid nitrogen doesn't come in cans, they need to come in tanks. I'd be amazed if people here had a chance to work with liquid helium, unless they are working with NMRs and mass spectrometers and stuff, which they might be, who knows!

Oh yeah, please don't kill things with the liquid, its not nice.

You can order it online, just look around for 'duster' cans for cleaning computers and electronics.

Peace,
phidauex

Jun 7, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by phidauex
...you can huff it. NOT recommended...

When I read the subject heading of this thread, that's what I thought this was about.

(Sidenote: don't huff it. People have died from strokes and **** huffing it. Otherwise perfectly healthy people. I distinctly remember some story about some people in the military many years ago -- not a reflection of people in the military, just a bad coincidence -- one of the girls died. That would have to really suck. You know how you get brain freeze from a Slurpee? Imagine having one that would kill you. That's gotta hurt.)

Jun 7, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #24 of 36
Sorry, but I just have to go to geek mode. Phidaeux was on the right track. This stuff isn't even close to liquid air. More similar to butane, although maybe less flammable.

Liquid nitrogen or oxygen do not exist at normal room temperature. It is beyond the critical point. Compress all you want, but all you will get is highly compressed gas. In order to get liquid N2, O2, etc, it has to be really damned cold. We are talking incredibly dangerous cold here. This stuff is not for playing with. By the time you get it into the pen cap you will have lost a finger, and possibly an eye. Treat supercooled liquids with extreme respect.

As for the dust-off stuff, I thought that they had gone to a non-habit forming formula. Meanwhile, in a grand parallel irony, another company is adding nicotine to bottled water. I will sure be disappointed if the world ever makes a full rotation without getting goofier.

gerG

Jun 7, 2002 at 9:41 AM Post #25 of 36
Insects have had their fair share of torture on me also it only about time for me to pay those suckers back!@!!@!@#

spiders/mosquitoes have bit me every summer of my freaking life. Every time the thing would get infected and heat up and swell up and itch like &%$#. takes me a week to recover from the itching and the infection and it takes me around 2 weeks to fully recover from the bite. Sometimes the bite mark stays for months, then it slowly fades.

Some freaking insect bit me tonight also!!! < only reason I’m raging right now.

felt an itch and I looked at my arm and there it was... some freaking insect, but it wasn't a mosquito b/c its wings were way to fat to be one. brushed it away, I wasn't thinking fast enough, should have just smashed the freaking thing! too late, I saw the opening in my skin and I knew that I was bitten. luckily, I was able to get hydrogen peroxide on the bite before it got infected, but still 10 minutes later I got an unbearable itch... to crazy, I guess I was lucky the dang thing didn't get a suck on my blood or else the bite would have been worse.

It’s a war every time I go up in the mountains. mosquitoes are giants up there... scary. every time I came home from the retreat I would have mosquito bites cuz the cabins already had them in there. my arms would swell up, it would get infected and heat up, and itch like mad.

you ever had a mosquito bite your ear before? that’s one of the worst. my ear had swelled up and it felt heavier and every time would step and walk that one ear would bounce and it would irritate the bite even more. Even sleeping was hard because when I sleep, I tend to sleep on my side and in turn, that would rub against my ear and irritate that even more.

Jun 7, 2002 at 10:24 AM Post #26 of 36
yagh! That reminds me of a family camping trip to minnesota a few years back. The Boundry Waters area. . . we canoed out to an island with friends and camped for a few days. I still have the number. . . 173 mosquito bites. It was horrible.
frown.gif

But anyway, I don't kill bugs with the stuff. I don't huff it. I really don't do anything that "dangerous." Well, except for the missles. . .

Jun 7, 2002 at 10:28 AM Post #27 of 36
LN2 is very nasty. Used it in a previous job. We'd play with it some. It's around -400F and will instantly freeze just about anything. We'd put some in styrofoam coffee cups and stick a rubber band in. Throw the band on the floor and it'd shatter to dust..

Really stupid, 'cause the SLIGHTEST touch and hide will come off.

LOX is a whole nother beast. Stay with me here. Liquid Oxygen is CONCENTRATED OXYGEN. That means that the slightest leak creates an extremely flammable situation and possibly very explosive.

Used Helium in a "Helium Leak Detector", aka Mass Spectrometer, in the chip business. We didn't have liquid though and actually never played with it much.

Got a couple cans of Office Depot Cleaning Duster. 100% Tetrafluoroethane. Says it's "Ozone Friendly" but it's still a fluorocarbon. Has a warning about breathing it.

Jun 7, 2002 at 11:14 AM Post #28 of 36
yeah, LN2 is fun stuff. And think! In about 15 days, I'll be exposing people to this stuff! And driving!
very_evil_smiley.gif

So, anyone else play around with pens?

Jun 7, 2002 at 2:21 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

yagh! That reminds me of a family camping trip to minnesota ....I still have the number. . . 173 mosquito bites. It was horrible.
frown.gif

But anyway, I don't kill bugs with the stuff. I don't huff it. I really don't do anything that "dangerous." Well, except for the missles. . .

Kind of like summers here in AR at my Grandma's place. My legs would be covered with chigger bites. No fun.

Talking about missles, when I worked at a cam-shaft plant for a couple years in college, some of us experimented with high powered blowguns using the air compressers. We quit when, what we though would be, a soft projectile went through a steel sheetmetel wall from 15'+ away.
eek.gif

Be careful with those missles and to quote one of my favorite movie lines: "You'll shoot your eye out!!"

Jun 8, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #30 of 36
Now we are talking serious projectiles!

I won't admit to any of the stealth research that I have done in this area, but I did get to see the aftermath at a manufacturing site where somebody had knocked over a compressed gas bottle and broken the valve off. Went across the building, through a wall, and part way through a rail car. Cool or what!

I forgot to mention another nasty aspect of LN2. As it boils off it displaces oxygen. Air has 21% O2. As that percentage drops you get less alert, pass out, and finaly expire. Very insideous because the urge to breathe is caused by buildup of CO2 in the lungs. As long as it is getting flushed away, the brain assumes that we are getting sufficient oxygen. My employer had some close calls when they started using LN2 to pre-chill turbine engines in vacuum facilities for altitude testing. I haven't done the numbers, but a thermos of LN2 in a poorly ventilated room could have a very high snuff factor. Again, extreme respect.

LO2 is indeed more dangerous, but not at all insideous. Check out one of my mentors lighting a grill with the stuff:
http://ghg.ecn.purdue.edu/~ghg/grill.jpg

Some day I may tell you about my close call with hydrazine
wink.gif

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back