WoW. Aos PPA DAC!!!
Mar 29, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #47 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
If I buy the daughtercard, would it be possible to encase it and make my own external DAC?

According to aos's website... yes.

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #48 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by xtreme4099
hmm... maybe he has gotten them to fit ... ill askem about it this weekend ...

Any news yet?
tongue.gif
(whether the diamond buffers, dac, battery board, and amp will fit in one enclosure)

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #49 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
According to aos's website... yes.

Forgive my lack of imagination, but could someone please describe how to go about making it a separate and external DAC in more detail?

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:34 AM Post #51 of 81
While using different opamps in the PPA thay will power up at different rates if your phonnes are not connected this is ok no harm done however with your phones connected one half of the output stage may turn on prior to the other Not good. so if using different op amps in the ground and gain channels suites you unplug phones prior to power up or down

Mar 30, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #52 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by ppl
While using different opamps in the PPA thay will power up at different rates if your phonnes are not connected this is ok no harm done however with your phones connected one half of the output stage may turn on prior to the other Not good. so if using different op amps in the ground and gain channels suites you unplug phones prior to power up or down

thx, ppl... that's the answer to my question...

Mar 30, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #53 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by aos
You just need a good power supply, 12V or more. Or you could use batteries.

aos - I've entertained the idea of incorporating a PPA DAC into my PPA, which is in a larger Pars Metals case built by Voodoochile, and being a fan of the Ack! dAck! battery powered DAC I REALLY like the idea of battery powered digital and the convenience of having a DAC built into my amp (plus the Toslink convenience). Is it possible two 9 volts could power this DAC? If so, what might be length of life they would see powering this DAC? Also, is there any ground issues between the DAC's ground and the PPA's electrical ground? Forgive my ignorance here, not well versed in this area and haven't discussed anything like this with Mark yet.

Thanks for the replies regarding opamps guys.

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #54 of 81
Lower power version uses about 45mA. It is supposed to run off PPA rails but you can run it off another power source. While that's low power in hi fi world (most high end DAC chips use 45mA+ just for themselves) it is still a bit much for 9V battery (you`d get 3 or 4 hours max).

Apr 29, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #56 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppl
The Art uses 9 volts ac so this would imply that battery power is not useable however i am open to sugestions on how power supplys that would bring the Art into it's own.

Hey, PPL, you need an "A" for the diamond in your sig
biggrin.gif
Sorry, I just had to point that out.

To keep things half OT, my PPA should get finished this week. Now I'm getting like a kid at Christmas
600smile.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #57 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Hey, PPL, you need an "A" for the diamond in your sig
biggrin.gif
Sorry, I just had to point that out.

To keep things half OT, my PPA should get finished this week. Now I'm getting like a kid at Christmas
600smile.gif

Done Thanks

May 10, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #58 of 81
Can anyone comment on their listening experience with the PACE (or any ppa with an aos dac) yet? I know at least one poster in this thread has a PACE by now and another said they would be hearing it at a meet. I'm hoping to buy one this month, and some glowing reviews would make parting with the money much easier
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back