WoW. Aos PPA DAC!!!
Jun 11, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #76 of 81
I doubt USB 2 would help any unless it would help indirectly by freeing other devices. If these cards use chips with integrated USB interface, they're all typically USB 1.1. My main computer is powerful enough but it has 5-6 USB devices plugged in at any time. USB is a good solution when you're mobile and don't have much choice. There's no good reason - other than the price of course, which is the best reason of all if you think about it - to go for an USB card for a stationary PC.

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #77 of 81
Ok, i'm ready to give my initial impressions of my new PPA/DAC.

Originally I had Sonica (analog) with the black gate mod -> Pimeta -> CD3K. It sounded pretty nice, very clear, but lacked bass extension and impact.

When I use the analog input input into the PPA w/ diamond buffer, I get a tiny increase in sound quality, so small that it could be my imagination. Quite a dissappointment for $300 or so.

When I add the DAC into the equation, the sound tightens up a little, and the bass extension/power improves. It's not a huge improvement, but you can definitely hear it, and it does sound nicer, and better ballanced.

Regarding the whole PPA/Dac/Diamond buffer setup, I consider it poor value for money compared to my earlier setup. It cost around US$650, maybe a little more, and if i'd been able to hear it before I purchased I wouldn't have bothered. I'm considering sell it (and a lot of my other gear) and just getting some Beyers and using them out of a bithead, but I digress.

Remember that this is my subjective opinion. It could be that the sonica's not performing as well as another source might. I bought my DVD player in, but when I plugged the optical out into the DAC there was no sound - it's a cheap DVD player, I guess it doesn't work. There was nothing wrong with the sound before this upgrade either, and the CD3K is very easy to drive, so other cans might get more of an improvement.

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #78 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Ok, i'm ready to give my initial impressions of my new PPA/DAC.

As much as I'm sorry to hear that the upgrade didn't work out for you, I'm really glad to see that you could admit that and write up your impressions so honestly!

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #79 of 81
Cheers G, but i'd expect honesty of everyone here. What's the point otherwise?

Do remember these are my initial impressions. It's might also be interesting to note that if given a choice, I will use the PPA/DAC every time, over another source amp. It has a little something extra that I can't define.

When I think about what i'd want to improve, it's hard to say. I don't get the sense of "being there" that i'd like. More bass extension and power/impact would be nice, as would even more crispness, but I don't know if that's even possible.

Jun 12, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #80 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
When I think about what i'd want to improve, it's hard to say. I don't get the sense of "being there" that i'd like. More bass extension and power/impact would be nice, as would even more crispness, but I don't know if that's even possible.

Well a HR-2 should give you more crispness if that's what you're looking for. I'm not sure it's really what you want but it'd probably be a pretty good match with the CD3K. I can't remember seeing anyone comment on the pairing though so I couldn't say for sure. I don't know as if it'll give you more bass extension though, I would tend to think that with the AD797s it might even be less. Of course, it could be time for a headphone upgrade too.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back