wow @ Anat Fort (jazz)
Jul 1, 2007 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Superpredator

Headphoneus Supremus
51ZOAeHFG2L._SS500_.jpg

I'm not huge into jazz, but some of it I find hugely addictive.

http://www.anatfort.com/

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=11610412

Reviews:

Solemnity and reverence are two characteristics that come to mind on hearing the opening tune on Tel Aviv-born pianist Anat Fort's ECM Records debut, A Long Story. The simple, straightforward melody of “Just Now, Var. I” sounds biblically old, like music tapped from humanity's collective marrow; and it—and the entire set—fits well into the atmosphere of a good percentage of the material released on the prestigious German label, sounds that are spare, spacious, understated and mesmerizingly beautiful. All of the music was composed by Fort, with the exception of “Chapter-Two,” which was co-written by the pianist and clarinetist Perry Robinson.

The band proves itself a dream collective. Drummer Paul Motian, who can take a good deal of credit for democratizing the sound of the standard piano trio with his work with pianist Bill Evans in the early ‘60s, taps out subtle textural and timekeeping complexities, using just sticks and brushes, stretched skin and metal discs to create the deepest art. Ed Schuller, with a long history of collaboration with Motian and Robinson, provides an anchoring but always-malleable pulse; and clarinetist Perry Robinson adds, by turns, both warm tones and the occasional edgy grit to the mix.

The “Just Now” theme gets three variations, once as a trio, one solo take, and the closer with the full quartet. Perry Robinson emerges from the piano trio offerings on the third cut, “Lullaby,” talking on his dark wood, telling a soothing story with the Stephen Foster-like melody.

“Not a Dream” drifts into noir territory, with Robinson’s clarinet growling low along a dark alley and Fort's solo unwinding from the shadows, beginning with a stark simplicity that evolves into alluring abstraction before it tightens up again.

A Long Story sings with a floating, ethereal, Middle Eastern-flavored charm and a gorgeous group dynamic. No review, no blocky stack of paragraphs can do justice to its unadorned organic beauty. It has to be heard.

- http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=25071

ECM has long served as a haven for pastoral pianists. Bobo Stenson, Paul Bley and perhaps most famously and prolifically, Keith Jarrett, have all explored their sedate sides under the auspices of the German label's polished production values. Israeli-born Anat Fort is the newest member of that sometimes-arctic sounding circle. It's easy to liken her levelheaded approach to the composer’s piano of players like Duke Ellington and George Russell, where individual fireworks and exhibitions of technical virtuosity are curtailed in service of erecting more egalitarian structures that emphasize collaboratively drawn lines and angles. Folk forms are a prominent part of the process on A Long Story, with fragments of Middle Eastern, Russian and Northern European melody and rhythm threading through several of the pieces. A prevalent Bley influence is audible in Fort's lyrical and spacious method of shaping and placing chords. Her balladic processional "Just Now", a somber tune with a mnemonic core that is vexingly familiar, works as recurring motivic signpost, serves as a centering agent at program's beginning, middle and end. "As Two" pits a pair of contrastive melodic strains against each other as a musical metaphor for the prolonged political conflict in Palestine.

Drummer Paul Motian is perfectly suited to the surroundings. His quiescent rhythms avoid ruffling the underlying probity of Fort's compositions, while still generating democratic ripples of propulsive syncopation. An exception is the four-fisted "Rehaired," where he spars with the pianist head on and strikes a swift succession of scintillating rhythmic sparks. Bassist Ed Schuller, a versatile veteran of countless chamber jazz sessions, is also well seasoned to the schematic, though the gelid amplification lacing his strings is sometimes a distraction. Perry Robinson's clarinet doesn't arrive until the third track and the contrastive tonalities of his reed are a welcome shot in the ensemble's arm. On "Lullaby," his fluid reed phrasings sound almost like a chromatic harmonica and his dialogue with the pianist on the surprisingly sharp-teethed "Chapter Two" banishes any previously encroaching doldrums.

The drowsiness that limns some of Fort's tunes is only a surface affliction, as closer listening reveals an ample amount of activity beneath the seemingly placid surfaces. Upon first exposure, it might appear tempting to dismiss her as another pianist numbingly in thrall of her label's contentiously pacific principles. Such an assumption would be a mistake. Fort exchanges seismic force and weight for a more insinuating and supple presence that is, in sum, just as powerful.

- http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/3517

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 13
I'll have to give the samples a second listen... it sounds very "new age" to me
wink.gif
.. how dare they use Bill Evans' name in the text describing her music! hrmph!
mad.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 13
I would say it's similar to Tord Gustavsen Trio. So if you like those, you would like Anar Fort as well.

I would not classify it at new age at all. I guess there is a category called 'ECM piano trio'. It does have its own complexity.

Lionel

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have to give the samples a second listen... it sounds very "new age" to me

Perry Robinson's playing definitely pulls it well out of the "new age" category, however if you don't like Paul Motian you probably won't like this.

Jul 2, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perry Robinson's playing definitely pulls it well out of the "new age" category, however if you don't like Paul Motian you probably won't like this.

Don't like Paul Motian? I love the stuff he did with Bill Evans...
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

tongue.gif
Am I being a jazz-snob again???
redface.gif

Or maybe I'm just an entry-level jazz listener. Still, I hope to god I'm not listening to smooth jazz.

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or maybe I'm just an entry-level jazz listener. Still, I hope to god I'm not listening to smooth jazz.

Entry level??? I don't think so...
biggrin.gif
I prefer bebop\post bebop and avant garde..
wink.gif
I consider my taste slightly above 98% of so called 'jazz' listeners.

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Entry level??? I don't think so...
biggrin.gif
I prefer bebop\post bebop and avant garde..
wink.gif
I consider my taste slightly above 98% of so called 'jazz' listeners.

So-called jazz! That's the kind I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back