Wow! After reading this thread, I know what amp I'm going to buy in the future!
Mar 12, 2004 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ooheadsoo

Headphoneus Supremus
Mar 12, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 11
Sounds cool but I think Ill wait for a unit with at least 40 - 60 watts per channel.

Mar 12, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 11
Well, when being compared to tube power, 20watts is actually quite hefty. No doubt 40w would be preferable if it sounds as good though. It's great when paired with efficient gear.

Mar 12, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 11
I have another digital amp the Panasonic XR25 which some people rave about also.

I'm not hot on that tripath chipset used because it does ADC. I prefer to keep things all digital. Nevertheless, there is still a difference of sound between the digital amps, regular solid state, and tubes. All comes down to preference.

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 11
Some guy has both amps on audiocircle, here's a quote just for reference:

"The tripath does have a tubey sound which surprises me. I don't hear the same out of my Panny XR25 which is just as detailed but more solid state sounding. It might be more of a single driver vs. ribbons difference."

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 11
I am sure a full digital rug until the speaker is the future.
But I don't think we are there quite yet, I will give the new technology another year or two before I jump in.
And Panny is going to launch a new Digi amp and a CD/SACD player in summer. Let's see how much better it is than the XR45 and XR25.

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by MoLtoSoLo
I am sure a full digital rug until the speaker is the future.

Been there, done that, Bought the T-shirt... ....writing the guide books for Fodors!
wink.gif

The Sharp digital rigs have been around for the last 4 years. Noone except me and theaudiohobby seem to know about them despite posting it a billion times. Everyone keeps talking about the Panasonic gear!
redface.gif

If your're coming to the Grado Labs meet you can check the digital gear out over there because I will be bringing it.

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #8 of 11
There's still some systematching to do as you have to choose DAC and cables for the tripath based system. so in that sense you can still tweak the sound.

im eager to hear those new panasonic amps to see how hires audio would go through them,

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #9 of 11
The XR50 is supposed to be out this month or the next. I don't know about the XR70. On another note, Toshiba is going to release their own universal player by the end of the year, I think priced at around $180 to compete with the Pioneer. Some people are excited because of that $60 player being so hot.

I think what may be more important than "all digital" is how the tripath chipset actually sounds. Theory is good, but real world doesn't always match up. I'd like to hear the powerwave in any case. What has my motor really running is the "tube sound" aspect that these guys are reporting. I never thought I'd be able to afford "tubes" so soon!

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 11
i would've tried the powerwave but it's small and my speaker wires are not. i'mafraid it would snap the connector off or something.

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #11 of 11
Wayne from Boulder Cables has his hands on one and is looking it over to see how he can mod it. A custom case and connectors isn't out of the question yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back