Would You Spend $41,500 On Speakers?
Jul 20, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
If you had heard those speakers driven by the Halcro amps you might be more inclined to sell you soul.The sound was magical.$40,000 maybe not, but you had to hear it.

Nope. Don't think so. Parents and neighbors would not go for it. I am a headphone listener exclusively anyway.

Jul 21, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #17 of 27
For those that have $41K to spend on speakers I would think that it would be like one of the masses going to Best Buy and picking up a pair for $100. If you are independantly wealthy this would be nothing. If you are scraping to make ends meet then buying these would be a poor choice.

Jul 22, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #19 of 27
Too bad most of those wealthy people who can afford the $41,000 speakers don't appreciate them as much as we appreiciate our $150.00 (more or less) headphones.

It's not about getting what you don't have, its about enjoying you already have.
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #20 of 27
i tend to ease my way slowly into all things audio. i'm imagining that most people on this board did it this way as well. lemme give an example:

bought sr-325s.. really liked them. had hd-490's and bought mg head dt (what a mistake for the grados) so i bought the hd600's and the porta corda (works wonderful with the grados). then markl's zotl went up for sale.. musician's friend had a sale on k501's.. christwas was around and i decided to buy myself a pair of ety 4s.. rs-1's went up used, sugden headmaster was at audio outlet..
ETC.

all of the above happened over a period of almost a year. could i understand spending money for an amp and speaker combo? sure. i'd save my money up for a while and buy a set, trying to even out the funds by about half for amp half for speakers. then, if later, i could buy better speakers.. i could easily see myself spending close to $10,000 on my entire stereo system someday. between a nice source, amp, speakers, power regulators, interconnects.. i think it'd be easy to setup a really damn fine system for them much. however, i don't even think i'll be able to afford "upgrading" to a pair of $40k speakers.

although, if i won the lottery.. sure. all my cousins are white trash, they don't need to go to college!

Jul 23, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Pepsione1

It's not about getting what you don't have, its about enjoying you already have.
wink.gif

Darn right. Learning to do this would give more satisfaction plus save money too. And yes, I think it can be learned...you just have to practice appreciation.

Jul 23, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #22 of 27
Agreed. I'm happy with my HD600s for home listening (maybe some K1000s if I can ever afford them and the necessary power amp) and Etys for everything else. I can build myself a better amp should I ever feel the need, and my ears aren't good enough (yet?) that cables/power cords/whatever don't make enough difference to spend to much money on. [and I say this having compared interconnects from the $2 Rat Shack Special to the Outlaw PCA, and stock "computer" power cord to a Quail]

My room and the stuff in it is such that I could never ever get speakers to sound good [two flat panel monitors and some shelving and a bed pretty much muck everything up], so really all I need to worry about is my source.

Well, that Sugden Headmaster would be nice, since it's supposed to be a META42 on steroids without the negative side effects. And I suppose I do lust after some (good) electrostatic headphones, but NOT the Stax Omega 2, every time I've heard them they sounded almost ...reverby... Maybe a Big O headphone with some Kevin Gilmore amperage behind it. (the Big O tube amp was a bit dark for my tastes, although it's fantastic nevertheless. But PENTODES?!)

rolleyes.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #23 of 27
Eric
It is obvious to me from your exquisite taste and reputation that your future lies in electrostatic headphones. It would be truly a waste if you didn't explore assembling the Gilmore electrostatic amplifiers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #24 of 27
Now that's just [size=small]EVIL.[/size] Pure, unadulterated [size=large]EVIL[/size]. I can't [size=small]AFFORD[/size] electrostatic headphones to plug into any of the Gilmore designs! Not to mention they're pretty farking complicated, although not as bad as what ppl does...

Jul 23, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #25 of 27
Eric
I hope I am not hearing that my internet hero and indeed the hero of all headphone enthusiasts of the internet is afraid of a challenge. This would be a sad day if that were what I was hearing.

Jul 23, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #26 of 27
Are you layering it on thick or what?
eek.gif

Look, regardless of my apparently god-like status, unless you have a pair of electrostatics lying around...

Jul 23, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #27 of 27
Using that 41,500 I could buy a BMW 330xi for roughly 37,000. The Blockhead and the R10's that I would also buy would take me very close to the 41,500 cut-off.

Speakers of that grade are bound to have in excess of 25,000 in diminishing returns. Personally, I like to drive cars, not speakers--headphones, that is another issue altogether.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back