Would you sell your gifts or birthday presents to buy other things?
Mar 4, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #17 of 27
Some gifts that I have no plans on using I will sell or return to the store. Others given by loved ones I can not see selling them, specially from my wife. I am allready in trouble with all the "toys" I have, if I financed them by selling her gifts I would be sent to the electric chair.

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #18 of 27
To all you folks who refuse to hawk their gifts...

Beware the white elephant

You must consider the original thought of the gift. Was it meant to be a burden? What would I ever do with all those XXL T-shirts I receive when I am a S or M kind of guy? I would probably pass it on to somebody I know who could use and enjoy it.

Does folks here still have all their childhood gifts? I don't think so. Gifts serve their purpose in our life and then it is time to move on. If someone were to buy me a laptop I would most likely upgrade at some point (though I would never receive a laptop as a gift nor would I want to).

I would rather something see some use and give somebody new enjoyments and memories than keep around trophies just for nostalgias sake.

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 27
I still have the XL shirt my gf gave me for my 1st birthday together. That was 8 years ago. I still haven't grown into it.
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
I would rather something see some use and give somebody new enjoyments and memories than keep around trophies just for nostalgias sake.

that's rather different that selling a gift to buy other

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #22 of 27
Depends on who gave the gift and how much thought was put into it. If it's some generic useless gift from one of my co-workers which was bought only to fulfill the need to give a gift at Christmas, it's gone. I don't need whatever it is, I don't have space to store it, and if none of my friends can find a use for it I'm selling it on Ebay.

If it's a gift which actually shows some thought, it stays with me and I'm not letting it go. Unless of course the gift is food or drink of some sort in which case it is consumed & enjoyed.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #23 of 27
Jahn you gave up an SR-71 Blackbird, a supersonic aircraft and didn't even have enough to buy some RS-1s!!
eek.gif

lol, but really what is an SR-71. And personally it depends on the thought and effort put into the gift. You get a gift and know immediately, based on your relationship with that person, the nature of the occasion and the gift you get, whether or not they really cared to get you something you'd enjoy and appreciate or if it's just to fulfill the occasion.

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc

lol, but really what is an SR-71. .

A headphone amplifier by Ray Samuels Audio. He likes naming his products after planes.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #25 of 27
I've done it already so yes I would.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #26 of 27
Depends on the gift. If it were something really memorable/meaningful, no not really. But headphones/amps/computer equipment etc. all that I'd sell off if nescessary.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #27 of 27
I would if it was something I wouldn't use or didn't have any special meaning to me. ie. gifts from people who don't know me well enough to buy me things like clothing. But that rarely happens. (Oh! or duplicate gifts)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back