Would you recommend the Fiio e11 for ATH-M50?
Aug 22, 2012 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

willitblend

Aka: Thatonedude2
Im thinking about buying it for my M50's just to improve listening a little bit but im not sure since its only 36ohm how much it would benifit from a amp but its only $60 sois it wort it?

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Im thinking about buying it for my M50's just to improve listening a little bit but im not sure since its only 36ohm how much it would benifit from a amp but its only $60 sois it wort it?

Heya,

It will make it louder. That's all.

Otherwise, you're paying $60 for the ability to put bass enhancement on it via it's built in bass EQ, two settings.

The M50 is efficient and does not need amplification to be dynamic.

Very best,

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 9
I have to agree. it sounds great, has heaps of bass and is driven well by my Samsung galaxy 3. I listen to them with the volume set at 3/4s max. I believe that some people are excited about the idea of carrying a portable amp. It as though it gives them more credibility. I''m new to thIs type of thing, but thats the feeling Im getting.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 9
I suppose it depends on your source among other things.  I feel that my M50' improved quite a bit by using a line out and the e11 from my ipod.  volume is ok from the ipod without the amp, but everything sounds much cleaner with the amp.  sharp knife vs dull knife. 

I will say that using a mini jack to mini jack connection did not do much with the amp.  the line out is necessary. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 9
In my experience the M50 does improve slightly with a good amp. Not a lot. I've rarely had a headphone that doesn't improve with an amp. Even the PX100-II does and even more so than the M50.
For me with the M50, the bass is much better controlled, the treble is less fatiguing and even the soundstage improves. A little more detail perhaps too.
However, the E11 (IMO) is not a good choice for slightly bass heavy or warm headphones. Not sure why.
It does something funny to the mids and makes them sound even worse. My 598 and DJ100 actually have more forward sounding mids without the E11.
I love the Total Airhead for the M50, but it's a bit pricey, but worth it. For just the M50 I wouldn't bother.

For the M50 I would highly suggest the E5. The E6 is supposed to have better and less rolled off bass. I prefer it's mids to the E11, but it's soundstage is a bit smaller.

The M50 also benefits from a cheap DAC such as the X-Fi Go Pro ($35).

Getting an amp just for more bass is a mistake though. That rarely happens.I don't want that kind of amp..

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 9
Honestly the M50's sound fine without an amp. I use a Fiio E7 with mine and there is not much of an improvement and most of the improvement from it is from the dac and not the amp itself, however if you want an amp that will improve the sound a lot I recommend looking at the hifiman ef2a. It is $170 though so I would just save up for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back