Would you recommend me Juli@ or Audiophile 192?
Sep 26, 2005 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rimsy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm currently looking for an upgrade of my Revo 5.1. I only need good stereo output so I don't care for inputs at all. I don't have any amplifier at the moment but I'm planning to get/build one in near future. I went through a lot of threads and I've ended up with Juli@ and AP 192 as my main candidates.

I had contemplated E-MU 0404 and 1212M for a while but I've lost most of my interest in them after reading a few reviews (Patrickhat2001's among them: "http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98724"; hats off to him for his really eloquent descriptions of sound signatures). I'm shopping for a rather neutral sounding source and it seems that while both EMUs are quite good, they color sound more than the aforementioned Envy24 solutions. Mind you, it's just my impression based solely on reading some of the threads here - I've got no real life experience with EMUs as they are really hard to find around here (Czech Rep.). Also, my budget doesn't allow me to try all those cards by myself.

With that said, I'm focused on Juli@ and AP 192 (I find my Revo 5.1 quite pleasant). Does anyone here have any experience with both of them? I prefer Juli@ ATM - partly thanks to kytuphicanh's posts regarding its sound quality and partly because of its lesser price and no need for a breakout cable.

I hope my english makes sense
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: Although I've written that I search for a neutral source, I still enjoy my old Tesla NZC 420 turntable with ARS 845 speakers for some reason
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikechai
Its a tough decision. Both are excellent sound cards. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Agreed. I don't know what the ESI sounds like but my AP192 is pretty sweet. Although you have to use the breakout cable and then either special cables or 1/4" mono -> RCA adapters whereas the ESI you just use whatever RCA cables you want.

Sep 26, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 6
I also haven't heard the Juli@, but recommended it anyway. The sound quality difference between the two, if any, is probably marginal, and the fact that you don't need a breakout cable for the Juli@ probably makes it the better buy. In fact, had I not gotten a great deal on my AP192 I probably would have bought the Juli@ myself.

Sep 28, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for your input, guys (and/or girls). I'm almost set on buying a Juli@ at the end of the year as I doubt something better will come around in near future. I've got a plea on all those who just vote - please drop a line or two to let me (and others) know, why do you prefer the card you've voted for
biggrin.gif
. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back