Would you help me? What to buy: Ultrasone 780 vs ATH-M50?
Oct 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

lorafenik

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,
I've narrowed down the list from my previus thread to just thease 2 headphones.

I have great cans for instrumental music (Alessandro MS1), so I'd like to have another, different pair, to listen to electronic music, like (instrumental) hip-hop, trip-hop or IDM.

I'd like to have:
# detailed, strong bass, going down deep
# no harsh highs
# rather warm signature

I have no way to check how they sound on my own, as there's no shop with them around me.

Feel free to ask me whatever you need
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 17
I have the M50s and love them. That said, I would if your budget allows go with the Ultrasone. Is this just anti-fanboyism? Or belated buyers regret?

Do you have an amp? M50 is not terribly amp-dependent, between running off Cowon D2, Nuforce Icon Mobile, and Little Dot I+ it is pretty much equal.

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 17
I'd go 780 between the 2 although they can have harsh highs and aren't what I would call warm sounding... perhaps the Sony XB500 would suit you better; very good deep and detailed bass, highs take a step back so you are left with a warm sound. Bonus being you can listen to them in the Sony store with your own music and buy them online for $50!

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 17
I very much like the A700 for electronica. There's a bass punch, and then there's highs that aren't harsh, but are present unlike in the MS1.

I don't know if the M50 shares the A700's sound signature.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 17
I voted for the ATH-M50, mainly because they are more versatile, don't have occasionally harsh highs like the Ultrasone, the bass is strong but not overpowering like the Ultrasone, and they are more comfortable.

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 17
I have to agree with Graphicism. I'd definitely go with the HFI-780's. They meet two of your criteria (great strong, detailed, punchy bass and warm, forward sound signature), but their highs are considered harsh by some. Me personally, I don't find them that harsh to my ears, and considering that you're coming from MS-1's, I don't think they should bother you much at all. I listen to predominantly hiphop/RnB/rock (acoustic/alternative/indie/classic/etc.), and they're amazing for all of these genres. And FWIR, they're great for electronica, too, and highly recommended for that genre around here. They're definitely a step up from my A900's and just as easy to drive.

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 17
LeftyGorilla, I use (depending on where I am) Prodigy 7.1 Hifi headphones output (there's HPs amp there) or Luxman L-230 HPs output.

Graphicism, thease Sony's are not my kind of looks, and I don't think the SQ is as good as in Ultrasone or AT.

priest, I think I want to have stronger bass than eg. in Koss UR29, maybe in terms of strenght something like Senn's CX300 II.

Fenghoang, thank you, your opinion helped me
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 17
Do you think Klipsch Image S4 would suit me?
They're cheaper and more portable
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 17
i have had the 780 and have the m50.
the 780 has better mids and highs, but slightly. the bass is nice but not too strong. the 780 is not very comfy and thats the reason i sold them.
the m50 is capable of more bass, and has a warmer sound overall. bigger earcups and deeper pads make it more comfy. the m50 has a larger soundstage
keep in mind i didnt have these at the same time!

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 17
Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 17
Fk, I'm stuck in paradox of choice.
And the more I know, the more I'm confused.
Now Im'm trying to choose between:
Beyerdynamic DT 231 (~~185PLN!!!)
Sennheiser HD 380 PRO (~~320PLN)
Klipsch Image S4 (~~340PLN)
Audio Technica ATH-M50 (~~600PLN)
Ultrasone HFI-780 (~~700PLN)

I'm getting more interested in thease cheaper HPs, what do you think about them?

pzdr

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 17
Hey, please help me spend my students money in the best way ;]

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lorafenik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, please help me spend my students money in the best way ;]

I dont know... Ive had many many high end headphones and have heard literally everything worth recommending on the market *went to canjam LA*. Once I started getting into Ultrasones I cant listen to anything else. S-Logic, be it a gimmick or not, certainly works for my ears. My vote, undoubtedly, goes to the HFI-780s. But, thats just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back