Would you consider the DT880 Pro an excellent upgrade to..
Feb 11, 2014 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

johnvonmacz

Head-Fier
ATH-M50? I own the M50's for almost 6 months now and I really enjoyed it listening to Hiphop and electronic music but not for Orchestra and Rock music.

I want more soundstage to fully enjoy movies and music in the likes of Il Divo, Josh Groban and Paramore etc. More controlled but still thumping bass for my Hiphop flacs. I found the DT880 Pro on Amazon for $187.. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 18
The DT880 has a good bass response and is a pretty good all-rounder, but it isn't anywhere near as bassy as the M50s. 187 is a pretty good price for a new pair, I say go for it and if you end up not liking them you can sell them here in the classifieds for little-no loss.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 18
The DT880 has a good bass response and is a pretty good all-rounder, but it isn't anywhere near as bassy as the M50s. 187 is a pretty good price for a new pair, I say go for it and if you end up not liking them you can sell them here in the classifieds for little-no loss.

Any recommendations then? Larger soundstage and seperation than the M50 but still has thumping controlled bass. Thanks :)

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 18
Any recommendations then? Larger sound stage and separation than the M50 but still has thumping controlled bass. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.
Full bass and full treble, which slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 18
  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.
Full bass and full treble, which slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.

I heard bad things about the DT990 Pro 250Ohms being build badly, I heard things like the bracket that holds the earcups are prone to break.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 18
  I heard bad things about the DT990 Pro 250Ohms being build badly, I heard things like the bracket that holds the earcups are prone to break.

I own Beyer DT770, DT880, DT990 headphones, they are all solid builds (rugged).
My personal opinion is they are more solid then most headphones.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #9 of 18
I have both the HD 600 and Q701. If you want a good upgrade for orchestral music, definitely consider both of these. I actually prefer the AKG Q701 for that genre and instrumentals just because of the sound stage and clarity. HD 600 just has a luscious, full bodied sound. If you don't seem to enjoy either of these HPs, the Beyer will be for you man :p

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 18
I have both the HD 600 and Q701. If you want a good upgrade for orchestral music, definitely consider both of these. I actually prefer the AKG Q701 for that genre and instrumentals just because of the sound stage and clarity. HD 600 just has a luscious, full bodied sound. If you don't seem to enjoy either of these HPs, the Beyer will be for you man :p

I'm actually leaning towards Beyer DT770 80Ohm but not disregarding the DT990 as the one to buy. I just want to get the best possible upgrade the one that can be considered an excellent all arounder, either closed or open back I don't care as long as it has like I said excellent soundstage because my M50's lacks it, when listening to Paramore songs, I feel like all the instruments are just in one place and felt like they're all mixed and sound like theyre in a tight place, I can't feel a sense of depth. But still has the bass that I loved in my M50's cuz I also consider myself a basshead tho I also love classical/Orchestra music. And I think the HD600 and Q701 is out of my budget..

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 18
The DT990, DT880, and DT770 all have the same drivers with the exception of the DT770 having the 80-ohm driver option. The DT990 will have a larger sound stage because it's an open headphone and they generally do, but the DT770 80 ohm is going to be more bass heavy.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 18
I'm actually leaning towards Beyer DT770 80Ohm but not disregarding the DT990 as the one to buy. I just want to get the best possible upgrade the one that can be considered an excellent all arounder, either closed or open back I don't care as long as it has like I said excellent soundstage because my M50's lacks it, when listening to Paramore songs, I feel like all the instruments are just in one place and felt like they're all mixed and sound like theyre in a tight place, I can't feel a sense of depth. But still has the bass that I loved in my M50's cuz I also consider myself a basshead tho I also love classical/Orchestra music. And I think the HD600 and Q701 is out of my budget..

The AKG Q701 new should be around the same price new as the DT 880/990, though you can't get the Sennheiser for that price unless you go used. Well, you might not have considered this earlier but if you want excellent bass, neither of the 3 headphones have "excellent" bass. Have you considered the Philips Fidelio X1? I have not personally listened to them but they are pretty well regarded in that area. That or the DT 990. I had a chance to listen to the Beyerdynamic dt 880 and though it didn't lack bass, the treble and mids are the more prominent area. 

Now that I think about it, the DT 990 sounds like the perfect headphone for you. It has the detail and clarity minus the treble/mid hump + the bass boost. Wish you luck in your decision.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 18
Oh and I forgot to mention the DT 770 won't have the sound stage of any of the other headphones mentioned so far in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back