Would you care so much about SQ if it weren't for Head-fi?
Jul 22, 2006 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

EhJayKim

100+ Head-Fier
I was just reading the thread about amps not being mainstream. And, I started to wonder, would you be happy with the cheap headphones sold at most major retailers if it weren't for this place? Does being a member of head-fi automatically make you search for a sound you will never be able to find?

-A

Jul 22, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 30
I don't think I would have the toys I have if I'd never found Head-Fi. I was perfectly happy with my EX-71's, which I thought then were extremely expensive. Head-Fi's given me a new hobby, and I'm happy I found this place.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 30
I'd care about sound quality, I just wouldn't know how to achieve it. Prior to coming here I didn't even know what an electrostatic speaker was.

Jul 22, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by EhJayKim
well I guess another question would be, would you be more satisfied with lower quality sound?

Would any person on this planet be more satisfied with worse sound?

Jul 22, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #6 of 30
The comments made by other Headfiers has helped me enormously in a search for a good sound. You need to read with care though because we don't all hear the same which can make things difficult, so I use it as a resource to gain an general opinion before actually auditioning myself.

I'm lucky in that I don't have to buy all of my headphones. I can see why it could cost people a fortune. When I add up the cost of my headphones, I feel a bit faint but I have found one that I am basically happy with and I wouldn't have got it if it weren't for comments made by other Headfiers here. Especially as it isn't the most expensive!

Ian

Jul 22, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 30
I'd care very much about SQ, and without head-fi, I would just sigh, accept the fact that headphones suck, and do wishful listening instead of critical listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 30
My first interest in sound quality was not from Head-fi nor was it from the internet. One of my expensive hobbies was seeing a lot of live music and traveling to different cities to see live music. It's really great and I love it more than audio equipment because to me it's living the adventure and seeing real music and the true spirit of performances.
Anyway, I began to pay attention to the acoustics of different places like theaters, clubs, concert halls, arenas and stadiums. I became more aware of acoustics and even took up an acoustics class in music school.

Now, I am fascinated with headphones and stereo equipment and Head-fi is great for this hobby. One thing that I will remember is that it's the music that's most important, not sound quality. For me, extreme detail is not important! It's actually somewhat unrealistic in a way. It's overall balance of sound. For a music lover, it's not good to over dwell on sound quality and my goal is to get the best system that I can afford even if it's modest and then really enjoy the music and forget about my equipment. Let the spirit of the music be the focus.

After a while, like perhaps 10 years or so, it's reasonable to think about updating your equipment. But getting back on the topic, sound quality should always be secondary and the actual music appreciation should be most important. If I get bored, I will more likely buy more CDs rather than buy more equipment. To me, knowling more about music is much better than knowing more about sound quality.

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 30
I perform music, so I've learned to listen for details. While I might not have so aggressively pursued high sound quality if it wasn't for Head-Fi (since speakers aren't at all cheap), I'd certainly be quite aware of what I was missing.

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #14 of 30
I was heavily into my other music/home theater system before I got the headphone bug. So, yes sound quality has always been a top priority to me.

What's amazing is, you can get so much great sound for so little cost with headphones, compared to a top-notch separates system.

I still love to listen to my main rig thru my B&W's, though.

Before Head-Fi, I was aware of really good headphones (like Sennheiser 580/600 I knew thru Stereophile reading), but I had no idea there was such a wide range of headphone amps available. I only knew about Headrooms. And I certainly had no idea there were so many other great headphone manufacturers.

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by EhJayKim
Does being a member of head-fi automatically make you search for a sound you will never be able to find?

No.
Head-fi makes you aware that somewhere out there is the right sound for you., and it isn't necessarily the most expensive gear that fulfills your needs.
Sooner or later those who don't give up will find a sound they are totally happy with.
In my case it was later, about three years after the journey had begun.
My most expensive rig retailed for about $5000, but I was not that happy.
In fact I was tired of comments suggesting to upgrade further, better source, better cables, power conditioning and whatnot, and I couldn't afford to spend more anyway.
Now my favorite rig costs less than $ 1800, and I'm totally satisfied.
It feels so good that not giving up wasn't futile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back