Would you buy more CD's if prices were decreased?
May 13, 2003 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Nikos

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering what you buy more CD's if prices were decreased to about $10 per cd?

Also do you think file-sharing has HURT the music industry or is it ultimately AN EFFECTIVE TOOL for the music industry as long as artists music is marketed properly and priced more reasonably as oppose to charing $15+ a CD?

The Riaa claims file-sharing is hurting the music industry...is it really or is it setting up an inevitable process for a more effective msic industry and its consumers if FILE SHARING is embrace correctly?

What do you all think? Is this the way to go? Price CD's at about $10 and people will buy more--while also sell music online via use of file sharing and offering a high quality and extensive catalog of music?

What do you guys think?

May 13, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 46
$10 still seemz a little too much...how about $7
biggrin.gif
?!
my style: buy new cds, record them on my mds digitally on SP mode... and sell them as brand new cds
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 46
Damn man, don't make me type up a whole response to this! Heh, just kidding but I'll make it brief...
wink.gif
I just finished a whole English paper on whether filesharing is harming CD sales!
tongue.gif

Yes, I would buy a lot more CDs. I believe that file sharing is not truly hurting the music industry and that it is an effective tool to find more artists and music and indeed encourages people to buy music more than it deters them. Better sound quality, supporting the artists, something I can hold in my hands and add to my collection...there are many reasons I continue to buy CDs while still avidly downloading MP3s to sample music. I certainly would like to own all of my MP3s on CD but unfortunately don't have the money to do that right now!

So yes, dropping the prices of CDs significantly would mean that I would buy more.

May 13, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 46
I would like to see some stats if you dont mind...thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Also do you think file sharing is basically hurting cd sales a little--but thats not really the root of the problem but actually marketing and pricing of cds is the problem and by restructuring those things and embracing file sharing wil help the music indutry correct??

May 13, 2003 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Nikos
I would like to see some stats if you dont mind...thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Also do you think file sharing is basically hurting cd sales a little--but thats not really the root of the problem but actually marketing and pricing of cds is the problem and by restructuring those things and embracing file sharing wil help the music indutry correct??

Absolutely, yes. I think for as many people that think "oh why buy CDs I can download music for free" though there are people that use filesharing to find more music to buy. Still, it's really hard to evaluate whether the benefits are outweighing the disadvantages of people downloading MP3s and how this effects their CD purchasing decisions.

I think ultimately the music industry needs to lower prices, stop fronting so much crappy music, and start signing and promoting more new, talented artists. I mean all the mainstream stuff that everyone listens to is such a small percentage of what's out there. I see a list of the Top 20 and hate everything on it. We keep seeing these artists and little new talent is breaking through. Maybe people just like crap, but I wonder if it was always like this. Filesharing can definitely be used for the purpose of allowing people to expose themselves to more of what's out there.

It would also help if the music industry created new incentives for people to buy CDs over downloading music for free, rather than just attacking college students for doing the latter.

I'll get back to you with some links...

May 13, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 46
hrm I think this should allow multiple selections as the options are not mutually exclusive. I don't buy many CDs now (well only the really good ALBUMS, never buy them for a few songs). I would buy more if they were $10. This isn't about filesharing for me. I buy good music. Like I always have. I have some songs from filesharing, but that usually to check out if I like the artist/album before I buy it. Filesharing has actually made me buy more music (inaddition to my this crazy addiction we all have). I think music companies just need to change their business models.

Speaking of music, I am really craving a new CD. REALLY craving...mmm so hungry for good cd...

TA

May 13, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 46
Have any independent research firms conducted a full-scale analysis of the economic impact of filesharing?

The little so-called "evidence" that I have seen about file sharing hurting CD sales has been shakey at best. (i.e. well sales are going down aren't they? With no correction for changing economic conditions done.) With all the public debate it seems like a university somewhere should have done a study on it.

May 13, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by LKK
The current price of SACD is just too high for me.
Average $25 per disc, sometimes a 2CD pack costs $70. That's the price of a Grado SR80
eek.gif

I've only got about 4 SACDs, but I paid only about $17 each (through Amazon) as opposed to $13-$15 for CDs; it's not that much worse.

And yes, I'd buy a lot more CDs if they were cheaper. I usually have a set amout of money to spend on music, and get as many CDs as I can with it. So if they were cheaper I'd obviously be able to afford more of them.

May 13, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 46
Sales are down because there's little new quality material. So the record companies resort to releasing remasters, box sets, compilation and greatest hits discs, and the majority of the public wants nothing to do with it. There are only so many times you can sell a person the same music.

May 13, 2003 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 46
I must say that I have bought a lot more CDs lately since I found a place to buy them for 12 bucks each. I voted yes I would buy more if they were 10 bucks.

File sharing I don't know much about. I do know that when I find a complete song at a website that I can get and keep, I usually will buy the CD it is from. But, I gotta be able to hear the song a few times at my leasure to decide if I like it or not.

May 13, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 46
1) $10 seems like a very fair price for a cd. The artists should also get a much larger cut than they do right now.

2) The RIAA would like us all to believe that filesharing is hurting them badly, but it's worth considering that sales of country and latin music are up, while genres like rap (it's crap!) and hip-hop (more crap, IMO) are down the most. It seems that perhaps people's music preferences have changed and what the record labels are offering has not.

3) The traditional business model is out of date and will die someday, the sooner the better. Mp3.com has done it right, with most cds priced at $7-10. Single songs can be bought for about $1 a piece through Liquid Audio, and for a flat monthly fee entire albums can be downloaded from eMusic. Music can also be sampled by downloading or streaming an mp3. Mp3.com is just one of many emerging business models that are superior to the old model. We just have to wait for a service offering lossless compression.
biggrin.gif

4) Filesharing can be used as a tool for sampling music. Since I started filesharing, I've spent a lot more money on buying cds than I ever did before. I've even paid for expensive import cds, because filesharing let me hear music from around the world.

5) Do people who use filesharing to get all their music even have the money to buy cds? If they do, would they even buy the cds if filesharing did not exist?

I am not saying that filesharing is all good, but I do think that it is beneficial when used properly as a tool to find new music. Don't like it? Delete it. Want it? Buy it. I admit that I do not own everything I have downloaded. I do not have thousands of mp3s, though, and I am working to buy what I have downloaded while still acquiring new alblums that I like. I hope I have presented a coherent set of arguments.
rolleyes.gif

May 13, 2003 at 5:30 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
So the record companies resort to releasing remasters, box sets, compilation and greatest hits discs, and the majority of the public wants nothing to do with it.

Exactly. I bet I'm not the only one who thought "What!?!" when I heard the commercials for that damn Elvis remix. Still (this is the one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post) many of the compilations of older music are selling quite well, as much of it is higher quality than the garbage being released these days.

May 13, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Lando
5) Do people who use filesharing to get all their music even have the money to buy cds? If they do, would they even buy the cds if filesharing did not exist?

I am not saying that filesharing is all good, but I do think that it is beneficial when used properly as a tool to find new music. Don't like it? Delete it. Want it? Buy it. I admit that I do not own everything I have downloaded. I do not have thousands of mp3s, though, and I am working to buy what I have downloaded while still acquiring new alblums that I like. I hope I have presented a coherent set of arguments.
rolleyes.gif

EGG****INGZACTLY!

The way I see it, the people who download mp3s and never buy CDs anyway aren't doing any harm, and the people who do buy CDs and download will buy possibly less, but more likely more CDs as they sample new music. I'm doing exactly what you're doing and agree with all of that. Great post! Whether or not filesharing is moral or not is up for debate, but scapegoating it as the cause of all the industry's losses and problems is plain ol' wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back