would you be able to help me with one of my amps
Jan 16, 2009 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm having a problem with my favorite portable Headphone amp. My Larocco PRII. I was wondering if any advice could be given to me besides sending it to the manufacturer being that the manufacturer is one of those who takes 10 months to deliver.

The problem seems to be that when I'm listening to the amp through my source (my ipod with LOD cable) I am getting a very high pitched hum which comes and goes and one way to get it to leave is to put my finger either on the amp or the headphone cable or the LOD cable. But the hum quickly returns. I don't remember always having this. Is there any cure for this which I can do by opening the amp and moving a piece or tightening?

I'm all ears.......also if you think you could identify what the hum is that would also be appreciated. I think something must need shielding but not sure what.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 9
sounds more like a grounding issue to me; does it do it with all of your LOD's? theres a chance the input jack has become loose and the ground wire is only just touching and not p[roperly connected; when you touch it with your finger you are grounding the case and the signal therefor improves? or if you only have the one LOD it could be a grounding issue with the LOD. is it a thick and chunky ALO?? could've damaged the input over time if you havent set it in shape. these are some options that are IMO more likely than a cap problem. if it was a cap problem I dont think touching it with you finger would fix it. also this ounds like a simpe issue, you might try contacting Phil larrocco who is now designing for triad ; he may not fix it for nothing, but he may get it done a lot quicker than the company that is now larrocco

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 9
I agree with qusp.

It could also be a static buildup problem, which is along the same lines as grounding. As soon as you touch it, your skin absorbs the static charge and the sound returns to normal. This has happened with my sansa clip before.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 9
Yep. I agree with qusp and Punnisher. Sounds like a grounding issue. Porbably a solder joint getting loose. This happens sometime with my amp. I remember my SuperMicro-IV went humming for a preiod of time after a spectacular bike accident where the casing was almost smashed in. A few joints were cracked and loose - only can be seen using a magnifying glass. A simple fix of soldering iron touch got them back to normal

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back