Would this software feature matter to you?
Aug 8, 2006 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

russdog

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know about you, but having all my music in digital form has changed my life in terms of day-to-day behavior. I've got things set up so that I've got an old laptop with a good sound card feeding the main stereo system, and I operate it remotely from the laptop I actually use all the time. I've got various playlists for when I want music in the background while I do something else, and I've got instant access to whatever I want to hear when I want to really listen. There's only one thing that's missing and it's driving me crazy. I really, really want the ability to establish EQ settings for each file, do it once, and have it kick in whenever that song is played. I'm not a big EQ freak, but there is some very good music that is mixed really badly, and EQ can help let the goodness of the music through.

When I think about it, I'm surprised that music-management software doesn't let you do this. They all have EQ, and many of them provide plug-in capability for other sound processors, such as parametric-EQ. Yet none of them let you do it once per song and then forget it. To me, it seems like this is a big hole in capability. But maybe I'm off in left field by myself about this.

Before digital music, you walked across the room to mess with the stereo for two purposes.
  1. Purpose 1: You walked over to change the music.
  2. Purpose 2: You walked over to change how the music sounded (volume, bass, treble, EQ, whatever).
One of the many good things about digital music is that we can use a computer to make it all easier. Many software packages have it licked when it comes to providing remote control for both of these purposes. I never have to go over there for either purpose. I can choose music *and* I can alter how it sounds, all by remote control via MediaMonkey. When it come to remote control, it has both purposes well handled. For me personally, MM is better than anything else at helping with Purpose 1. I don't think MM does anything special for Purpose 2. I think most programs are about the same with Purpose 2. When people get all excited about MM, it's usually because of how MM helps people who have a huge amount of music do Purpose 1 tasks.

In addition to remote control, another big thing about digital music is that you can have useful automation. This mainly shows up in the form of playlists. With playlists, we have the ability to automate a whole series of actions we would take for Purpose 1. If I like to listen to one certain album after I listen to another specific album, I just make a playlist for that. Or I have 100 songs I like to hear more-or-less together, so I make a playlist for them. The important thing is that I do it just once, and then I have those custom sets of music waiting for me in a completely automated way. Playlists are wonderful, and they also surprise a lot of people. They sure surprised me. When I first heard about the idea of playlists, I was not impressed. At first, it sounded like the kind of thing that programmers did because they could, not because anybody cared about it. But when I lived with playlists, it changed my life. (Same thing with TIVO.) Media automation is very powerful, but I think some people such as myself have to experience it before we can really appreciate how cool it is.

The problem is that we have automation for Purpose 1 only. Except for volume-leveling, we don't have any automation for Purpose 2. Yet, we all know that different music files are different in how they sound. We have volume leveling, which is nice if used properly. It saves people from grabbing the remote to adjust the volume all the time. Some people don't use it, but for other people it's very valuable. For me, and I believe for many others, changing volume isn't really the biggest problem. The biggest problem for many of us is that we listen to all kinds of music, both new and old. Some music is recorded and mixed well, and other good music is mixed in ways that are mediocre or worse. A lot of old Rock that's very, very good is also recorded and mixed very, very poorly. So, to make it sound right, you gotta get up and fiddle with the controls. For some people, it's just messing with the Bass and Treble controles, for others, it's an EQ, and for others it's a DSP plug-in (many suck, but some are good). Whatever it is, it means fiddling with something until it sounds right. Maybe you can't hear the cymbals on this one, and maybe the bass is way too loud and boomy on that one. This doesn't matter so much if you've just got music on in the background while you're doing something else. But if you're really listening to the music, it matters a lot. And it's a great deal more trouble than is adjusting the Volume level. Right now, all we have is the ability to do that by remote control. What we don't have is the ability to do it once for a given song, and have it remembered. Instead, we have to do the same thing, again and again, every single time we play the song.

So, when I stop and think about what software like MM does for me, it does remote control great for both Purpose 1 and Purpose 2, it does automation great for Purpose 1, and it's completely lacking in useful automation for Purpose 2. I think this is true of all the software, not just MM. Simple automation for Purpose 2 seems to be the way in which music software in general is lagging. This is where music software has failed to improve on the old way of doing things. It gives us remote control, but it fails to free us from boring, tedious, repetitive tasks. And, much like playlists, I don't think some people will really appreciate how good the automation of Purpose 2 taks will be. It won't have the same impact as playlists, but for people who actually sit down to listen to their music, I have no doubt that it will be huge. In fact, I'd bet that it will be *the* feature that convinces some old-school audiophiles to finally embrace what digital music can do for them, as well as for a lot of the rest of us.

I don't think the capability requires anything difficult. It boils down to extending the ID-tags to include a multi-field EQ var. That, plus the little GUI tweak to let people write a copy of the current EQ settings into the current song's file, and a simple implementation is done. I think the proper way might be to use frames, and to have plug-in's for DSP options. Then, users could opt to use whatever EQ or DSP plug-ins they like best. I think the newer ID-tag scheme gives us frames, so I think that is feasible within the standard.

For me, MM is the best software there is for Purpose 1. I know other people have their own favorites. I just wish one of them would do what I'm wishing for. I think that, once people who actively listen to their music (and who aren't strongly anti-EQ in attitude) get a taste of Purpose 2 automation, there'd be no going back. If it was done with an architecture that permitted control of plug-ins, it would start an inevitable chain of events. Somke EQ plug-ins would be better than others, and you could choose which you like. Various freaks and researchers would have something else to be clever with. People would develop ways to scan mp3's and suggest Purpose 2 settings based on the file's sonic fingerprint. Other freaks and researchers would develop ways to examine the what you've done with your existing songs, and use that to provide initial best-guess tags for new music, according to your own habits and practices. In short, it would start a new era in which customizing a song's playback sound would become low-hassle enough that people would do it a lot more.

I know some folks think that it's bad to adjust how the music sounds. I think that's fine if that's what you like, and I'm not trying to change your mind about that. What I wonder is, among people who do use EQ or other ways of fine-tuning the sound of individual recordings, how valuable would this capability be for you. It seems obvious and necessary to me, but I've not heard anyone else talk about it. So, what's your take on the value of doing this? Is it just me?

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 14
IIrc, iZotope Ozone lets you set EQ and more for every song.

Quote:

Ozone can automatically load a preset when specific songs are played. Forget about play lists where each song sounds louder or softer or bassier than the previous one. With Ozone you can make it all just flow together.

*Note: This feature is only available when using Ozone with QCD, Winamp 2 & 5

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/media/ozone.html

and

Steinberg MyMP3Pro 5.0 does this too (also some FX's can be set).
Also, when you export the playlist using XML format, all EQ settings are there:

[size=xx-small]<playlist version="1.0">
<audio artist="Steve Lukather" title="Bluebird" album="Luke" comment="" year="1997" track="11" seconds="403.140015" size="12900480.000000" path="C:\Media\Various Artists\11 - Bluebird.mp3">
<eqfxSetting Eq0="50" Eq1="50" Eq2="50" Eq3="50" Eq4="50" Eq5="50" Eq6="50" Eq7="50" Fx0="50" FxActive0="0" Fx1="0" FxActive1="0" Fx2="0" FxActive2="0" Fx3="0" FxActive3="0"/>
</audio>
<audio artist="Russ Ballard" title="01 I Can't Hear You No More" album="The Very Best Of" track="1" seconds="351.116974" size="14044711.000000" path="C:\Media\Various Artists\01 - I Can't Hear You No More.mp3">
<eqfxSetting Eq0="50" Eq1="50" Eq2="50" Eq3="50" Eq4="50" Eq5="50" Eq6="50" Eq7="50" Fx0="50" FxActive0="0" Fx1="0" FxActive1="0" Fx2="0" FxActive2="0" Fx3="0" FxActive3="0"/>
</audio>

[/size]

mymp3prokx2.jpg

FX's : Stereo Spread, Compress, Loud Max and Enchanger.

jiitee

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 14
Very interesting. I will look into these. Have you lived with either of these products, or do you know about them just from reading?

The OzoneMP is $29, but a quick search just showed me that it's $19 with code "OZMP-DF45".

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
Very interesting. I will look into these. Have you lived with either of these products, or do you know about them just from reading?

OzoneMP (29US$) - I've demoed only (demo don't let you make many changes) but also been reading the docs available. I've used the Ozone 3 for mastering purposes and all I can say is iZotope makes pro quality products.

MyMP3PRO 5.0 (Steinberg/Pinnacle) (~50US$) - I have had this couple of years (captured image were taken just before posting) but I'm not using it nowadays anymore. W/ MyMP3PRO you can use VST plugins and set surround panning (SRD setting) too, and I can't imagine a std feature there isn't
wink.gif
. Strange but true, ASIO is not supported (that's why I don't use this prod anymore).

I can't say if MyMP3Pro still exists (Steinberg is part of Yamaha now) or is on sale.

jiitee

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee
OzoneMP (29US$) - I've demoed only (demo don't let you make many changes) but also been reading the docs available. I've used the Ozone 3 for mastering purposes and all I can say is iZotope makes pro quality products.

MyMP3PRO 5.0 (Steinberg/Pinnacle) (~50US$) - I have had this couple of years (captured image were taken just before posting) but I'm not using it nowadays anymore. W/ MyMP3PRO you can use VST plugins and set surround panning (SRD setting) too, and I can't imagine a std feature there isn't
wink.gif
. Strange but true, ASIO is not supported (that's why I don't use this prod anymore).

I can't say if MyMP3Pro still exists (Steinberg is part of Yamaha now) or is on sale.

jiitee

From your experience with both, do you have any sense of which will provide superior quality sound? Is there any reason to prefer one over the other?

I see a coupon for getting the OzoneMP for $19, and a download site has the MyMP3Pro 5.0 for $15.

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

I don't know about you, but having all my music in digital form has changed my life in terms of day-to-day behavior. I've got things set up so that I've got an old laptop with a good sound card feeding the main stereo system, and I operate it remotely from the laptop I actually use all the time. I've got various playlists for when I want music in the background while I do something else, and I've got instant access to whatever I want to hear when I want to really listen. There's only one thing that's missing and it's driving me crazy. I really, really want the ability to establish EQ settings for each file, do it once, and have it kick in whenever that song is played. I'm not a big EQ freak, but there is some very good music that is mixed really badly, and EQ can help let the goodness of the music through.

When I think about it, I'm surprised that music-management software doesn't let you do this. They all have EQ, and many of them provide plug-in capability for other sound processors, such as parametric-EQ. Yet none of them let you do it once per song and then forget it. To me, it seems like this is a big hole in capability. But maybe I'm off in left field by myself about this.

Before digital music, you walked across the room to mess with the stereo for two purposes.
  1. Purpose 1: You walked over to change the music.
  2. Purpose 2: You walked over to change how the music sounded (volume, bass, treble, EQ, whatever).
One of the many good things about digital music is that we can use a computer to make it all easier. Many software packages have it licked when it comes to providing remote control for both of these purposes. I never have to go over there for either purpose. I can choose music *and* I can alter how it sounds, all by remote control via MediaMonkey. When it come to remote control, it has both purposes well handled. For me personally, MM is better than anything else at helping with Purpose 1. I don't think MM does anything special for Purpose 2. I think most programs are about the same with Purpose 2. When people get all excited about MM, it's usually because of how MM helps people who have a huge amount of music do Purpose 1 tasks.

In addition to remote control, another big thing about digital music is that you can have useful automation. This mainly shows up in the form of playlists. With playlists, we have the ability to automate a whole series of actions we would take for Purpose 1. If I like to listen to one certain album after I listen to another specific album, I just make a playlist for that. Or I have 100 songs I like to hear more-or-less together, so I make a playlist for them. The important thing is that I do it just once, and then I have those custom sets of music waiting for me in a completely automated way. Playlists are wonderful, and they also surprise a lot of people. They sure surprised me. When I first heard about the idea of playlists, I was not impressed. At first, it sounded like the kind of thing that programmers did because they could, not because anybody cared about it. But when I lived with playlists, it changed my life. (Same thing with TIVO.) Media automation is very powerful, but I think some people such as myself have to experience it before we can really appreciate how cool it is.

The problem is that we have automation for Purpose 1 only. Except for volume-leveling, we don't have any automation for Purpose 2. Yet, we all know that different music files are different in how they sound. We have volume leveling, which is nice if used properly. It saves people from grabbing the remote to adjust the volume all the time. Some people don't use it, but for other people it's very valuable. For me, and I believe for many others, changing volume isn't really the biggest problem. The biggest problem for many of us is that we listen to all kinds of music, both new and old. Some music is recorded and mixed well, and other good music is mixed in ways that are mediocre or worse. A lot of old Rock that's very, very good is also recorded and mixed very, very poorly. So, to make it sound right, you gotta get up and fiddle with the controls. For some people, it's just messing with the Bass and Treble controles, for others, it's an EQ, and for others it's a DSP plug-in (many suck, but some are good). Whatever it is, it means fiddling with something until it sounds right. Maybe you can't hear the cymbals on this one, and maybe the bass is way too loud and boomy on that one. This doesn't matter so much if you've just got music on in the background while you're doing something else. But if you're really listening to the music, it matters a lot. And it's a great deal more trouble than is adjusting the Volume level. Right now, all we have is the ability to do that by remote control. What we don't have is the ability to do it once for a given song, and have it remembered. Instead, we have to do the same thing, again and again, every single time we play the song.

So, when I stop and think about what software like MM does for me, it does remote control great for both Purpose 1 and Purpose 2, it does automation great for Purpose 1, and it's completely lacking in useful automation for Purpose 2. I think this is true of all the software, not just MM. Simple automation for Purpose 2 seems to be the way in which music software in general is lagging. This is where music software has failed to improve on the old way of doing things. It gives us remote control, but it fails to free us from boring, tedious, repetitive tasks. And, much like playlists, I don't think some people will really appreciate how good the automation of Purpose 2 taks will be. It won't have the same impact as playlists, but for people who actually sit down to listen to their music, I have no doubt that it will be huge. In fact, I'd bet that it will be *the* feature that convinces some old-school audiophiles to finally embrace what digital music can do for them, as well as for a lot of the rest of us.

I don't think the capability requires anything difficult. It boils down to extending the ID-tags to include a multi-field EQ var. That, plus the little GUI tweak to let people write a copy of the current EQ settings into the current song's file, and a simple implementation is done. I think the proper way might be to use frames, and to have plug-in's for DSP options. Then, users could opt to use whatever EQ or DSP plug-ins they like best. I think the newer ID-tag scheme gives us frames, so I think that is feasible within the standard.

For me, MM is the best software there is for Purpose 1. I know other people have their own favorites. I just wish one of them would do what I'm wishing for. I think that, once people who actively listen to their music (and who aren't strongly anti-EQ in attitude) get a taste of Purpose 2 automation, there'd be no going back. If it was done with an architecture that permitted control of plug-ins, it would start an inevitable chain of events. Somke EQ plug-ins would be better than others, and you could choose which you like. Various freaks and researchers would have something else to be clever with. People would develop ways to scan mp3's and suggest Purpose 2 settings based on the file's sonic fingerprint. Other freaks and researchers would develop ways to examine the what you've done with your existing songs, and use that to provide initial best-guess tags for new music, according to your own habits and practices. In short, it would start a new era in which customizing a song's playback sound would become low-hassle enough that people would do it a lot more.

I know some folks think that it's bad to adjust how the music sounds. I think that's fine if that's what you like, and I'm not trying to change your mind about that. What I wonder is, among people who do use EQ or other ways of fine-tuning the sound of individual recordings, how valuable would this capability be for you. It seems obvious and necessary to me, but I've not heard anyone else talk about it. So, what's your take on the value of doing this? Is it just me?

That's a long and winded post for a simple problem.
What you are looking for is too complicated.The required automation software would have to be capable to communicate with plug-ins of several vendors and set them for individual songs.The internal structure of plug-ins is quite different, only the interface to the hosting player is standardized.

However, there's a simple and free solution for your simple problem.
Both foobar and winamp contain a so called diskwriter function.
Just apply the DSP-effect of choice to the individual file and write the result into a new folder.From now on you can play the already treated file utilizing your favorite player.That's it.

As an added benefit it naturally works for you DAP, too.Most PC based DSPs are better than those built-in into DAPs.

I would keep the untreated uncompressed files for future purposes though.

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:18 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

From your experience with both, do you have any sense of which will provide superior quality sound? Is there any reason to prefer one over the other?

I see a coupon for getting the OzoneMP for $19, and a download site has the MyMP3Pro 5.0 for $15.

Here is the users manual for MyMP3Pro (dunno for which version though but AFAIK, the 5.0 was the last one) - http://www.pinnaclesys.com/support_c...3/us/myMP3.pdf

Ozone is a plugin for certain players which of many are ASIO/Kernel Streaming capable (if this is important factor for you). MyMP3Pro has only options for DirectSound and MME through WDM and Wondows 'mappers'. To me MyMp3PRO worked well. You propably be able to use OzoneMP w/ Foobar too through plugin listed in my sig.

jiitee

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Just apply the DSP-effect of choice to the individual file and write the result into a new folder.From now on you can play the already treated file utilizing your favorite player.That's it.

bingo.

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
That's a long and winded post for a simple problem.
What you are looking for is too complicated.The required automation software would have to be capable to communicate with plug-ins of several vendors and set them for individual songs.The internal structure of plug-ins is quite different, only the interface to the hosting player is standardized.

However, there's a simple and free solution for your simple problem.

As an added benefit it naturally works for you DAP, too.Most PC based DSPs are better than those built-in into DAPs.

I would keep the untreated uncompressed files for future purposes though.

Well, your reply might not be long-winded, but it is sorta rude. As for your assessment of the options, I think your idea is basically a very bad one. It's kludgy and is based on an incorrect assumption.

The incorrect assumption is that it's somehow quite difficult to do what I want with various plug-ins. All that would be required is a tiny plug-in for whatever DSP plug-in the user prefers. All that that would be required is that the "plug-in for the plug-in" would read parameters from the DSP plug-in and store them, and later send them back. All plug-ins work by parameters (it's the nature of software), and there's nothing terribly difficult about interrogating the DSP for it's current settings, copying those to the song file, and then sending them back later whenever the song plays. So, I don't quite see what all the big difficulty is about.

As for your "solution", here's what you're calling for: If I have 10,000 songs, and if I want 3 settings for each (background, careful listening, and headphones), then I'd need to maintain 30,000 files in addition to the originals, or 40,000 files in all. You think that's a good idea? I don't. I'd much rather do it the proper way, by simply saving the settings rather than saving multiple versions of all the songs the settings are applied to.

You do have a point about copies for DAP's. Your idea will permit the application of EQ to files for DAP use. I appreciate that part of your response, and will give it a try.

PS: Last night, I communicated with the MediaMonkey guys about this. Their first-line response guy said, "sorry". But just a few hours later, one of their honcho's responded, saying he thought this is a valuable capability, and that they will try to implement it on the their next version of MM.

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 14
Here is one possible method to use :

MyMP3PRO:

- set/save EQs and FXs for every individual track

- use VST slots one for each 'enviroment' (you can set up four different 'enviroments') --> if you need several plugins in some of those enviroments, just load an effect rack into that VST slot and load plug-ins into rack --> you can enable/disable one or more from those VST slots and ~all effects can save presets

As for an example for VST slots:
Slot 1 - EQ + stereo touch plug-ins set for 2.1 speakers (back ground)
Slot 2 - EQ + HRTF plug-ins for headphones
Slot 3 - EQ + Transmodder (transient modification) plug-ins for 2.1 (serious)
Slot 4 - EQ plug-in (basic)

I can post some pics later after I check this working.

jiitee

EDIT:

Above example won't work 1:1 as I assumed, since you be able to set everything only per track or global. I checked the MyMP3PRO usage --> you can save all, EQ and FX settings and loaded VST plug-ins w/their settings per track or globally
--> if per track, then when track changes new settings/VST plug-ins are loaded

This shortcoming can be 'rounded' partly by using per Album playlists w/ global setting, since albums are recorded mostly using same mastering settings --> you can then use those enviroments as told in example by enabling those slots needed for enviroment and you can even make presets for VSTs per playlist (need to change manually).

jiitee

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 14
J.River Media Center has a plug in called "EQdb" which I believe does exactly what you desire, however I have not tried it, and you would need to buy the MediaCenter license. Still, it is a solution.

Aug 9, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Well, your reply might not be long-winded, but it is sorta rude.

Sorry for being rude.
You are right.No one forced me to read the whole novel nor to reply to it.
Quote:

As for your assessment of the options, I think your idea is basically a very bad one.

Doesn't look that bad to me when you take into account that it's instantly available, free and easy to use. Quote:

The incorrect assumption is that it's somehow quite difficult to do what I want with various plug-ins. All that would be required is a tiny plug-in for whatever DSP plug-in the user prefers. All that that would be required is that the "plug-in for the plug-in" would read parameters from the DSP plug-in and store them, and later send them back. All plug-ins work by parameters (it's the nature of software), and there's nothing terribly difficult about interrogating the DSP for it's current settings, copying those to the song file, and then sending them back later whenever the song plays. So, I don't quite see what all the big difficulty is about.

russdog, all my programming nowadays is about interoperability of existing software.You are right, doing it for one or a small set of plug-ins is doable within a few hours, lets say a weekend.Even integrating every plug-in for every major player isn't difficult, but it would be extremely time consuming and therefor unpractical respectively very (too) expensive in the context of a company.Also, plug-ins are a moving target.They get updated and sometimes totally redesigned.I guess the only doable way would be a noncommercial collaborative project, but those are not easy to organize. Quote:

As for your "solution", here's what you're calling for: If I have 10,000 songs, and if I want 3 settings for each (background, careful listening, and headphones), then I'd need to maintain 30,000 files in addition to the originals, or 40,000 files in all. You think that's a good idea? I don't.

I do neither.Frankly, I didn't imagine what you are planning.I do have more than 40000 songs on several internal and USB HDs but only a few hundreds are individually treated (plus a few thousands for the DAP but that was a batch job and no individualized treatment).
In my life there's no need for individual treatment for backgroung listening purposes and I just couldn't imagine what it's good for.
Most of my music is listenable without any processing anyway.For a change of frequency response or a change of presentation style a head-fier can always utilize different headphones.Only music I really adore and that's awfully mastered justifies spending my rare leisure time on improving it.
Seems you do have a new hobby.30000 multiplied with at least 20 minutes for every song, and there are always new songs.You'd be an old geezer when the task will be completed, if ever.
Maybe you are better off to obtain a few complementing cans and restrict treating individual songs for the rare ones that absolutely need and deserve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back