Would this situation be considered an unfair advantage?
Sep 28, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #16 of 17
I understand the impulse to simply write this woman's complaints off as petty, but it also seems worth considering the possibility that it's the requirements of the exam and residency process that are problematic. It's certainly the case that this process was designed at a time when no one considered it important that a woman (and a mother) be able to become a doctor. Exams are, in my opinion, a terrible way to determine someone's ability to do a job. While I understand that doctors need to know certain things for the safety of their patients, it hardly seems to me that giving them extra time to finish an exam AND feed their children is endangering patients.

Similarly, while I agree that it will be difficult for a woman in this position to complete her residency, this seems to me to point to problems with the ways in which residency programs are structures. Why the marathon shifts? Why, with so many people wanting to be doctors, can't they simply hire enough residents that they can all work reasonable hours? I would certainly feel safer with a resident who was well rested and sane, regardless of whether or not she had just taken an hour off to express breast milk, than I would with a resident on the 12th or 13th hour of her shift.

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anything the normal working environment is more lenient, and the management is more likely to bend to unreasonable requests, especially if the one who complains makes herself a nuisance.

(My initial comment was too harsh. So I've modified it)

If anything a new parent, is at a severe disadvantage compared to everyone else. Trying to express even more so. That said this isn't a straightforward case, as shes has other problems. It could be argued, and I'd agree, that shes needs so many exceptions made that perhaps this career choice isn't the best idea for her. But taken in isolation I don't see why someone gets any advantage in getting time to express.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back