Would This Plan Of Mine Be Feasible?
Apr 30, 2014 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

XIX47

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am relatively newbie in the world of quality headphones and gear. I have already purchased a pair of DT-990 Pro headphones and a SoundBlaster Z for gaming. I know that a dedicated amplifier will increase the SQ from the DT-990s. However, I also have an interest in listening to music from the soundtracks of movies such as LOTOR, SW Trilogy, and others. Whenever I watch these movies, I enjoy listening to the music and it always sticks in my head longer after watching the movies. I assume this is orchestra music I am hearing?

Anyways, I am not sure if the DT-990s are designed for such use due to its emphasized bass. So, I am thinking about buying a second pair of headphones in the future for the purpose of listening to this music. Then I would buy an amplifier to properly drive both headphones.

This is for the future, probably within the later part of this year after my birthday in August. I believe my budget would be around $300-$500. I would also need more $$$ to have access to the music as well.

So, would this be a feasible plan or is there something I should consider before I decide to purchase headphones/gear? Thanks.

May 1, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 6
Have you tried just EQing down the bass?

May 1, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 6
I have adjusted the EQ settings with the SoundBlaster Z. I thought its EQ was the basic version of the EQ from dedicated headphone amplifiers? I do enjoy the bass from the DT-990 I hear from gaming but I believe that much bass is not optimal for orchestra music. I have read more neutral headphones are a better fit for orchestra music.

I have read that headphone amplifiers do not pair very well with certain headphones. Thus, I was wondering if I decided to upgrade, would  it be better to first buy an additional headphone and then an amplifier that is complements both pair of headphones?

I am sorry if my original question was not clear. I was in a rush at the time.

May 1, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 6
  I have adjusted the EQ settings with the SoundBlaster Z. I thought its EQ was the basic version of the EQ from dedicated headphone amplifiers? I do enjoy the bass from the DT-990 I hear from gaming but I believe that much bass is not optimal for orchestra music. I have read more neutral headphones are a better fit for orchestra music.

I have read that headphone amplifiers do not pair very well with certain headphones. Thus, I was wondering if I decided to upgrade, would  it be better to first buy an additional headphone and then an amplifier that is complements both pair of headphones?

I am sorry if my original question was not clear. I was in a rush at the time.

I can't name a headamp that has a comprehensive EQ in it. A headamp should be as neutral as possible, something you're almost certain to get from any solid state amp (unless the manufacturer has intentionally made it sound different to make audiophiles assume it must be better). Digital EQs are great, so use the Soundblaster EQ.

There is no magic synergy going on between headphones and amps, it's just an electrical signal. If the bass is a bit odd, you can research the output impedance of your soundcard (not what range of headphone impedance it can drive). Multiply it by 8. Is it lower than the impedance of your headphones? If so that's good. Do your headphones play loudly enough? If so, even better. Throwing more money at the problem won't be the answer.

May 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 6
  I can't name a headamp that has a comprehensive EQ in it. A headamp should be as neutral as possible, something you're almost certain to get from any solid state amp (unless the manufacturer has intentionally made it sound different to make audiophiles assume it must be better). Digital EQs are great, so use the Soundblaster EQ.

There is no magic synergy going on between headphones and amps, it's just an electrical signal. If the bass is a bit odd, you can research the output impedance of your soundcard (not what range of headphone impedance it can drive). Multiply it by 8. Is it lower than the impedance of your headphones? If so that's good. Do your headphones play loudly enough? If so, even better. Throwing more money at the problem won't be the answer.

Okay, I am very naive about audio equipment so I did not realize headphone amps did not have EQs.

I have read on certain threads on Head-Fi that some certain headphone amps do not work well with certain headphones in regards to producing the right SQ.  I believe the output impedance for the Soundblaster Z is 22 ohms IRC, so it should properly power my 250 Ohm headphones. However, I have to adjust the volume to 70-85% for my standards but overall it is not very loud at all in my opinion. I have read that on Head-Fi these pair of headphones do require a dedicated desktop amp to power the headphones to their full potential.

May 2, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 6
I think this is the wrong forum section to ask my questions. I think I will seek out the DT-990 appreciation thread to see how well they do with orchestra music & headphone amps that work well with it.

Thanks for your advice. Sorry for my newbie questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back