Would this be silly? (Re: Chaintech AV-710)
Mar 4, 2005 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

500+ Head-Fier
I'm going to be getting a Chaintech AV-710 in soon and would like to run it in my main rig in conjunction with my Hercules GTXP.

Instead of having to get an amp for it, would it be okay to run the optical-out from the Chaintech into the optical-in on the GTXP breakout box, and then plug my headphones in through there? Would this result in any degradation in sound quality? Would this defeat the purpose/SQ of the Chaintech?

My reason for wanting to do this is because both of my main cans (A500 + SR-60) are easily driven unamped, so I'd prefer to avoid shelling out more money to buy an amp if it's not necessary. I'm currently plugging in to the headphone jack on the GTXP box and would like to keep it this way.

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by karma
I'm going to be getting a Chaintech AV-710 in soon and would like to run it in my main rig in conjunction with my Hercules GTXP.

Instead of having to get an amp for it, would it be okay to run the optical-out from the Chaintech into the optical-in on the GTXP breakout box, and then plug my headphones in through there? Would this result in any degradation in sound quality? Would this defeat the purpose/SQ of the Chaintech?

My reason for wanting to do this is because both of my main cans (A500 + SR-60) are easily driven unamped, so I'd prefer to avoid shelling out more money to buy an amp if it's not necessary. I'm currently plugging in to the headphone jack on the GTXP box and would like to keep it this way.

It would at best completely defeat the purpose of the Chaintech.

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 4
You may not be so bad off if you can run the line-out of the rear output of the AV-710 to the line-in of the gtxp

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 4
yes, there's just no point. The optical signal is digital, so you're basically just using the chaintech as a passthrough, it would do no decoding of the signal at all - all that would be done by the game theatre, so there's zero point to it. If you want to use the signal decoding of the chaintech, you're going to have to plug your headphones into it directly or through an amp, no way around it really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back