Would the Ultrasone PRO 900 matched with a Fiio X5 and STX II sound card be a good match?
Feb 12, 2016 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Morph91

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering the Ultrasone PRO 900 headphones more than ever. I am using the Audio Technica ATH PRO700MK2 (68ohm version) with the STX II and have been for a while. I do love the combination for electronic music but i know the PRO 900 are in a different league so i would like to try them. Is the Fiio X5 and the STX II a good match for these headphones? I listen to 16 bit ripped FLAC files and 320kbps with Foobar..

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: I didn't mean using the STX II and the Fiio X5 together or anything, just to clarify, i meant using them separately. 

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #5 of 11
I think you should get the FiiO X5 II, since it has gain controls, or a FiiO e12 stand-alone amplifier. When I had the Ultrasone Pro 2900, it sounded very harsh coming straight from a iPhone 3GS (it was that long ago), as the treble was too strident and silibant. Once I hooked up an Electric Avenues PA2V2 to it, the sound became much less harsh and more smooth. The 2900 was open-back and the 900 is closed-back, but both have the same drivers.

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 11
If your headphones are bright that will show through with Apple products.

The Fiios sound dark, so they may neutralize it.

How does it sound with your STX II? The iPhones should sound very similar but less powerful and not as loud.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 11
  I am considering the Ultrasone PRO 900 headphones more than ever. I am using the Audio Technica ATH PRO700MK2 (68ohm version) with the STX II and have been for a while. I do love the combination for electronic music but i know the PRO 900 are in a different league so i would like to try them. Is the Fiio X5 and the STX II a good match for these headphones? I listen to 16 bit ripped FLAC files and 320kbps with Foobar..
Thanks in advance for any help!
Edit: I didn't mean using the STX II and the FiiO X5 together or anything, just to clarify, I meant using them separately. 

As you already have the Essence STX II, I'm guessing you would really have to spend a little more then you might like, to make a noticeable improvement.
For music, you might consider trying a low output impedance headphone amplifier and connect it to the STX II RCA Front Speaker jacks.
The STX's headphone output impedance (10-Ohms) is technically a little high, for use with 40-Ohm headphones (Ultrasone Pro 900).
So an external headphone amplifier, like the O2 (Objective 2) or Schiit Magni headphone amplifiers, which each have less then 1-Ohm output impedance, might bring out a little more detail, in the audio.
The STX II can not send it's Dolby Headphone thru the RCA jacks, which is fine if all your really listening to is music.

For a portable audio player, I'm guessing the FiiO X5 is as good as anything else in it's price range, for driving the Ultrasone Pro 900.
You also can easily connect an external headphone amplifier, to the X5, or at least have the option.

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 11

As you already have the Essence STX II, I'm guessing you would really have to spend a little more then you might like, to make a noticeable improvement.
For music, you might consider trying a low output impedance headphone amplifier and connect it to the STX II RCA Front Speaker jacks.
The STX's headphone output impedance (10-Ohms) is technically a little high, for use with 40-Ohm headphones (Ultrasone Pro 900).
So an external headphone amplifier, like the O2 (Objective 2) or Schiit Magni headphone amplifiers, which each have less then 1-Ohm output impedance, might bring out a little more detail, in the audio.
The STX II can not send it's Dolby Headphone thru the RCA jacks, which is fine if all your really listening to is music.

For a portable audio player, I'm guessing the FiiO X5 is as good as anything else in it's price range, for driving the Ultrasone Pro 900.
You also can easily connect an external headphone amplifier, to the X5, or at least have the option.

Thanks for the reply PurpleAngel. Will the STX II used with the PRO 900 make them distort at loud volumes then? I would upgrade the amp but i actually like Dolby Headphone for music. The PRO 900 aren't hard to drive, i'm just undecided. I just hope they don't distort at loud volumes.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 11
  Thanks for the reply PurpleAngel. Will the STX II used with the PRO 900 make them distort at loud volumes then? I would upgrade the amp but i actually like Dolby Headphone for music. The PRO 900 aren't hard to drive, I'm just undecided. I just hope they don't distort at loud volumes.

I do not think think the STX II amp would add any more distortion, then any other headphone amplifier (in general).
But I might not be fully understanding about what you consider distortion.

As you like Dolby, can't see any good reason for doing anything more then plugging whatever headphone you like, directly into the STX II's headphone jack.

If you were looking at replacing the STX II, I would say to sell off the STX II and buy a Audio-GD NFB-11 ($410) and a low cost Asus Xonar DG/DGX ($25-$45).
So the DG/DGX provides the Dolby and the NFB-11 the DAC function and amplification.

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the STX II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back