Would the Sennheiser MX500's be a lot better than the Creative Stock earbuds?
May 16, 2006 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cjattwood

500+ Head-Fier
See topic title, I like the Creative stock earphones sound but it can obviously be improved on, I'm not looking for IEM's by the way so I'm considering the MX500's, would I notice a big improvement?

May 16, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 8
the mx550 are very good earphones , if you can get them stuck in your ear canal ( that is , you have quite big ear canals ) they're able to mime very nicely the hd650 sound signature , not joking ( use the search button , mx550 and my name to find related threads there are other very positive opinions on these buds )
Having got them more then 1 year ago , after mx500 and Sharp md33 and Westone Um2 , and px100 .. and others .. I still consider them unbelieveble value , this if you can use them fully inserted and covering the whole ear canal window perimeter ( to get near a seal for them ) .
Hope that helps.

May 16, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 8
Not as much as you may be hoping for. I have the MX400's which I have read are the same except for the volume control, and I have never really rated them. I have to turn my iPod up to nearly full, and they sound a little dull to these ears.

For a little less money (9.99) you can get the Phillips HE590 from Dixons which are an in-ear design but sound much brighter. They don't sound very good at all if you don't get a good seal, and some people find them too bright, but I am very pleased with mine. They are very easy to drive from an iPod and I never need to turn mu iPod above about 1/3 volume.

Simon

May 16, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the opinions people, I'll probably stick with the stocks, they have a pretty enjoyable sound, have a snug fit and look good, my MP3 player is mostly used for school and on the bus, where sound quality isn't as big a factor as home (where I have all my music in FLAC/CD's etc).

May 16, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood
See topic title, I like the Creative stock earphones sound but it can obviously be improved on, I'm not looking for IEM's by the way so I'm considering the MX500's, would I notice a big improvement?

Yes, I think so.

However, I would recommend that you go for the "MX500 White", which seems to be likely something of an improved older MX500, not just a different aesthetic finish.

May 16, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 8
Hmm, I'm receiving conflicting evidence here but it seems the majority say to go ahead and get them. I love the look of them (Blue is my favourite colour, I wouldn't go for the white personally) so I'll grab a pair on Thursday, along with the Sennheiser HD201's because I miss my old pair
tongue.gif

May 16, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 8
which Creative stock buds are you talking about? If you're talking about the EP480's, i perfer them over the MX500's. Mainly because the MX500's was lacking bass, and the Creative buds seem to provide that pretty well.

My only problem with the EP480's is the size. They are huge and hurt my ears. I didn't find that much of an improvement with the MX500's, but if you can pick it up for less than $20, then try it out. The volume knob was pretty handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back