Would the Schitt Magni 2 or any amp give my HD 600's more bass?
Sep 28, 2016 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

frakthegods

New Head-Fier
So I'm coming from using the M50x for almost 2 years and I've had the HD600 for a month now, I like them a long more in every department except for bass, some songs are really flat sounding, whereas others I can actually feel it and am happy with the bass. Currently I have a Nobsound 6J9 amp that I had for a year or so just for volume control. I've seen people say that a better amp and a DAC is gonna give me a better experience with these but exactly what can I expect? Will I actually feel bass or are we just talking some small 2% difference?

Also the reason I specifically ask about the Magni 2 is because it's in my price range. :p

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 7
  So I'm coming from using the M50x for almost 2 years and I've had the HD600 for a month now, I like them a long more in every department except for bass, some songs are really flat sounding, whereas others I can actually feel it and am happy with the bass. Currently I have a Nobsound 6J9 amp that I had for a year or so just for volume control. I've seen people say that a better amp and a DAC is gonna give me a better experience with these but exactly what can I expect? Will I actually feel bass or are we just talking some small 2% difference?

Also the reason I specifically ask about the Magni 2 is because it's in my price range. :p

You can always try EQing first.
Magni 2 sounds very clean and crisp but it won't give you more bass.
Some amplifiers like the FiiO E12 have a clean bass boost switch, so you can turn it on when needed.

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 7
  The magni might give more punch but shouldn't add to the 'amount' of bass. You may want to try the Hd650, basically a HD600 with a bit of midbass boost. 

+1 Also slightly smoother in the upper midrange.

Differences are still subtle though

Sep 29, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 7

A better amplifier will not "add" bass, it will simply not distort whether reducing or adding the bass. At best, if a bad amp is reducing the bass, then a decent amp will not be doing that, so you'd think it's "adding" when it's actually just letting the headphone sound as it's supposed to sound like.

Chances are though that tube amp is more likely rolling off the high frequencies than reducing the bass, so going to the Magni2 will seem like you have less bass.

Are your earpads relatively new? When new and stiff you need to wear them tighter. Other pads while still new and thick can boost the bass due to density and/or non-porous materials like leather. You might be better off trying the HM5 Hybrid Angled Earpads, but note you need to gut the stock earpads - remove the foam and velour and then mount the HM5 pads onto the plastic ring (then just trim the parts that get in the way of the clip).
http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-angled-hybrid

That said preferably you get the earpads plus the Magni2. Given its lower distortion and damping factor, you can use more EQ boost in the bass region. I currently use the all-velour angled earpad version and my back up amp is the Pangea HP101 (haven't gotten around to getting my Cantate.2 fixed, but apart from noise it's close at a little over safe listening levels), and on NeutronMusicPlayer I have a +3dB low shelf boost at 35hz, ie everything under that frequency gets a uniform boost, effectively just moving the -3dB drop off further down.

That's MediaMonkey on the screen though as Neutron is freaking ugly when on landscape mode; MM basically has the same layout as music servers

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 7

Check out the Vali 1 at $99. Pairs better with the hd600.

However, if you like the sound of the 600 but would like just a little more bass, I would highly recommend trying the hd650. A little more kick in the bass with smoother upper end as an added bonus. Would pair well with both the Magni 2 and Vali 1, although I would still recommend the Vali.

Sep 30, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 7

No.

The HD600 is considered neutral,so if youre listening to EDM for example you might feel some thump,but on jazz or rock or whatever without a ton of sub-bass it will sound flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back