Would the SA5000's be wasted in my rig?
Aug 30, 2006 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Quake1028

Previously known as Gloomfire.
Recently I have become enamored with the SA5000's, devouring every thread I can find on them. I love the Grado sound, so I'm not too terribly worried about them being too bright for me. Rig is in my signature, and most music tastes are in my profile, although I do listen to almost everything. For reference, in the future I see a MAD Ear+ Purist HD and a source upgrade, but that won't be until January at the earliest.

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 19
What do you consider to be "wasted"? I personally think that your source should be just fine (I used a CE595 with my SA5k rig and I didn't run into any problems) , and if you're looking to tame the SA5k a bit and give a fuller sound, I'd imagine that the LD2+ would be beneficial. If I were in your position I wouldn't worry about the source, but rather the amp. Have you tried solid state amps and confirmed that you prefer the tube sound? If you like the tube sound, then I think you're all set to go, though you may end up preferring the SA5k's with a solid state amp (Or perhaps a warmer solid state amp, like the M3). HOWEVER, many would recommend using tubes with the SA5k's and have reported a degree of synergy here.

Basically: Pull the trigger if you're financially ready. You'd probably be surprised at how well your rig holds up.

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 19
With the SA5000s, amp synergy is more important than the quality of your DAC in my experience. If you pick the right amp they'll be lovely, but if you don't you'll soon sell them.

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 19
Any particular reason you wouldn't go for an upper Grado? I think the artificiality of the SA5000 sound may get to you, as compared to a more "realistic" timbre that I find Grados to have quite often.

Aug 30, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Any particular reason you wouldn't go for an upper Grado? I think the artificiality of the SA5000 sound may get to you, as compared to a more "realistic" timbre that I find Grados to have quite often.

Oh, these won't be *instead* of an eventual RS1
rs1smile.gif
. I am still lusting over the RS1's, AD2000's and now the SA5000's, but for now the Sony's are more manageable price wise. Besides, I think I am going to hold off on the other two until I am ready for a source/amp upgrade.

Aug 30, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloomfire
Oh, these won't be *instead* of an eventual RS1
rs1smile.gif
. I am still lusting over the RS1's, AD2000's and now the SA5000's, but for now the Sony's are more manageable price wise. Besides, I think I am going to hold off on the other two until I am ready for a source/amp upgrade.

You'd lose some money on the eventual trade of the SA5000 for an RS1, and they're a little harder to get rid of in the FS forum. I'd really save a little more and snag an RS1 if I were you later on. I thought the SA5000 was cool, for the record. It just can't do what the RS1 does, if you have Grado-tuned ears. Hold out man, hold out!

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 19
I've not heard that source, but I'd expect it to be like most midrange Sony players, i.e. not without flaws, but nice and listenable. The amp, at least if it's like the Little Dot II I heard at a recent meet, would be the problem, the one I heard was at best on a DIY cmoy level, if that.

The SA5000 as I'd think you've read is a prett brutally revealing headphone, and I really don't think that amp would stand up to it. I don't know that I'd call it a waste, as they are nicely made and very comfortable headphones, but I can nearly guarantee you wouldn't be getting the most out of them (or RS1's, or any headphone of such caliber). Trying a used SA5000 might be worthwhile to see if you like them, but mis-matched gear might give you the wrong idea.

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 19
Speaking of sources and the SA5k, if you do end up keeping the SA5k's and get a source for them, I HIGHLY advise you to not get the Zhaolu. Though I used a solid state amp (M3, which is on the warm side of solid state), the brightness and harshness become unbearable and very fatiguing, and I'm one that usually can accept harsh/bright sound. I realize that having a tube amp in the equation may change things a bit, but I'd just like to point out that I personally didn't like the sound and that, if I had heard the SA5k's like that intially, I would definetly have passed on that end of the headphone spectrum.

I found the difference in brightness between the CE595 and the Zhaolu to be a lot, so the CE595 should be fine. So, if you plan on upgrading the souce, I'd recommend either shooting for a warmer or more neutral source.

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 19
IMHO the SA5K is BRUTAL.... if you dont do it justice with the right amplification and source.

IMHO the grado RS1/2 coloration and "flavor" tends to mask source deficiencies, and IMHO would be more synnergetic with your sony player and LD tube amp. So... even though you're not going to reach the RS1's full potential till' you amp up, it still would be a wiser choice and a fun sounding rig.

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IMHO the SA5K is BRUTAL.... if you dont do it justice with the right amplification and source.

i personally think they are just brutal in general
wink.gif

Quote:

IMHO the grado RS1/2 coloration and "flavor" tends to mask source deficiencies, and IMHO would be more synnergetic with your sony player and LD tube amp. So... even though you're not going to reach the RS1's full potential till' you amp up, it still would be a wiser choice and a fun sounding rig.

i agree. a set of SR-225s might be a good thing to get, too. they will get you a nice taste of how the high end Grados sound and won't be too revealing of your system. the SR-225s are also easy to sell if you decide to trade up to the RS-1.

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
whoops, just noticed that you already have SR-225s. sell them and get RS-1s

p.s. the SA5k is much brighter than any of the Grados, imo.

Green foam, dark wood... those are nice vintage RS1's! I say go for those, if you can. If you can't, pairs like that pop up from time to time here and on Audiogon.

RS1 plays much nicer with a wider variety of stuff, for sure.

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
It just can't do what the RS1 does, if you have Grado-tuned ears. Hold out man, hold out!

It can't but it can do many things that RS1 can't do instead. I like them both very much but with my previous setup SA5000 stayed and RS1 was sold.

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
It can't but it can do many things that RS1 can't do instead. I like them both very much but with my previous setup SA5000 stayed and RS1 was sold.

Ah, I did the opposite. Though I didn't own the SA5000, I had one here for nearly a month on loan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back