Would the Klipsch s5i be suitable for the treadmill?
Jun 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

stanleyshmanley

100+ Head-Fier
I have about $60 in the form of an Amazon gift card and I'm looking for an IEM to use both when exercising and walking around campus. I would prefer that it has an in-line remote (I know there is already of guides listing products in tiers but there isn't a specific one for ones with the remote/mic). Also, two of my criteria is that the response has to be balanced and there has to be little to no microphonics since I plan to run with these.

Right now, I'm making due with Meelec m9p while saving up for something better. I find the M9p's bass too boomy and the mids too recessed. Are there any good iems with a mic/remote that sell for $70 or should I keep saving up for the Klipsch s5i?

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
I have about $60 in the form of an Amazon gift card and I'm looking for an IEM to use both when exercising and walking around campus. I would prefer that it has an in-line remote (I know there is already of guides listing products in tiers but there isn't a specific one for ones with the remote/mic). Also, two of my criteria is that the response has to be balanced and there has to be little to no microphonics since I plan to run with these.

Right now, I'm making due with Meelec m9p while saving up for something better. I find the M9p's bass too boomy and the mids too recessed. Are there any good iems with a mic/remote that sell for $70 or should I keep saving up for the Klipsch s5i?

Quote:
Bump. Anyone?

I see you waited a whole hour before you bumped...  Great patience you have...

The S5is are supposed to sound just like the S4s, so they are definitely not balanced, more towards the boomy sides of things.  microphonics can normally always be solved by wearing a pair of headphones over the ears. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Thank you for the response. Do you have any reccomendations or your own impression about the s4? I keep reading conflicting opinions on how they're either the best thing in the world or that they're overrated. If not, I might just shell out some cash for the s4i.

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Thank you for the response. Do you have any reccomendations or your own impression about the s4? I keep reading conflicting opinions on how they're either the best thing in the world or that they're overrated. If not, I might just shell out some cash for the s4i.

I haven't heard the S4s yet (I do want to eventually though).  All I know is that they are sibilant (apparent this goes away, but this is unconfirmed) with booming bass.  The S4s aren't the most popular headphones here on Head-Fi though.

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 8
The S4i are warm, bassy phones. Before burn-in the treble is sibilant and a little shrill. This goes away after about 100 hours and they become very smooth. 

They are not the most detailed, but are definitely fun to listen too. I find that the bassy signature works well outside in noisy environments. However, they are not suitable for critical listening.

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 8
I have the S5i and use it daily. Normal walking pace will have no microphonics whatsoever when worn over-ear. Brisk / hurried walking / heavy steps, however, will bring out noticeable microphonics.

I, however, have not tried the shirt clip.
If it's like my previous IEM (skullbrokens), shirt clip will do wonders....but I'm only making an assumption here

You will love the inline mic and volume/track control when you use it with your iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back