Would the Fiio E7/E9 work well with a SR-225i?
Apr 25, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 8
For a 32 ohm headphone, I would recommend an amp with a lower output impedance than the E9 (10 Ohm). The grado's should be alright out of most players, but a decent amp wouldn't hurt. I would look into the Fiio E10, it has a low enough output impedance to go well with grados, and is a decent dac as well. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Check this thread in my signature (below). I've tried to compile most basics for checking if you need an amp.

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
For a 32 ohm headphone, I would recommend an amp with a lower output impedance than the E9 (10 Ohm). The grado's should be alright out of most players, but a decent amp wouldn't hurt. I would look into the Fiio E10, it has a low enough output impedance to go well with grados, and is a decent dac as well. 

Second on looking at the E10. I tried one recently with SR60s and SR225s at a local headphone shop (My wallet is in big trouble now that I have a local headphone shop).  I was not expecting an amp to be an improvement for such easy to drive headphones. Boy was I wrong.  I was pleasantly surprised by a significant quality increase vs. the headphone out on my ipod at similar volumes.  The E7 is pretty nice too if you are looking for a portable system, but the E10 did sound a bit better to me.  If you don't need a DAC, I recommend looking at an E11, I thought the sound quality was the best (to me) among the Fiios I tested with the SR60s and SR225s and the unit pairs nicely with an ipod/LOD without being too large.
Here is a good review of the E10 from another member that mentions some of the other options in its price range:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/575084/impression-fiio-e10

Also second/third on avoiding high output impedance amps for grados, I have tried an E9 and my HDP with SR60s and the performance is disappointing, so my Grados currently only run on my E11.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 8
But you can't use the e10 with an iPod, can you?
Which one works with iPod's and is like equally as good as the e10?
[size=16px !important]  

[/size]

small-logo.png

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
But you can't use the e10 with an iPod, can you?
Which one works with iPod's and is like equally as good as the e10?
[size=16px !important]  

[/size]

small-logo.png

Correct the E10 does not work with any source other than a computer by USB, and is not portable....

I guess the important question is are you looking for a desktop or portable solution?

If portable, there are lots of reasonably priced options out there. I am personally a fan of the Fiio E11 (the amp sounds better than the E10 to me, dirt cheap at $65, not including ipod line out dock cable), but I have only tried a limited number of options in this category.  If you want to add a DAC there are two type to consider: Firstly there are the ipod direct USB connection compatible DACs, unfortunately all the options I am aware of  are well north of your $200 budget; Secondly there are portable amps which also have a DAC for computer/source use.  If your are at a desktop you could use a ipod digital dock (such as the Pure i20 ~$99) with these.  In this category, you might want to investigate the Fiio E17 which also has low output impedance and comes in at ~$200 (I have not tried one personally so I can not vouch for it's performance). 

[size=10pt]For desktop use... All of the units in your price range that I am aware of/ have personally tried have higher output impedances[/size][size=10pt].  Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in that category could chime in.[/size]

[size=10pt]FYI here is a great article by Tyll at Inner Fidelity that touches on impedance mismatches in relation to the Beyerdynamic DT880 series (32,250and600ohm)[/size]
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Hope that helps....

Brad

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:

Correct the E10 does not work with any source other than a computer by USB, and is not portable....

I guess the important question is are you looking for a desktop or portable solution?

If portable, there are lots of reasonably priced options out there. I am personally a fan of the Fiio E11 (the amp sounds better than the E10 to me, dirt cheap at $65, not including ipod line out dock cable), but I have only tried a limited number of options in this category.  If you want to add a DAC there are two type to consider: Firstly there are the ipod direct USB connection compatible DACs, unfortunately all the options I am aware of  are well north of your $200 budget; Secondly there are portable amps which also have a DAC for computer/source use.  If your are at a desktop you could use a ipod digital dock (such as the Pure i20 ~$99) with these.  In this category, you might want to investigate the Fiio E17 which also has low output impedance and comes in at ~$200 (I have not tried one personally so I can not vouch for it's performance). 

[size=10pt]For desktop use... All of the units in your price range that I am aware of/ have personally tried have higher output impedances[/size][size=10pt].  Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in that category could chime in.[/size]

[size=10pt]FYI here is a great article by Tyll at Inner Fidelity that touches on impedance mismatches in relation to the Beyerdynamic DT880 series (32,250and600ohm)[/size]
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Hope that helps....

Brad

Thanks a lot, Brad.
I'll probably go for the e11 or the e17.

It's not so much full portable use (like going out and stuff) but when I'm not at the computer like in another spot of the house (or you know, even going out or on a road trip) I'd like to have the amp with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back