Would the ESW9/10JPN be for me?
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bojamijams

Headphoneus Supremus
I am considering these for my portable rig. You can see its current makeup in the sig. I am liking the x10's sound but its issues with stress relievers breaking (which hasn't happened to be but with my luck bound to) and the fact that I don't fully feel comfortable with things inside my ear canal are leading me to think towards other portable isolating cans.

I listen to mainly metal with some industrial stuff. so I hope the ESW 9/10 are good for those.

The other thing is, I got the x10's used for $175.. with the going rate for used ESW 10jpn about $400-450, would it be a worthwhile upgrade with my current rig or is there something there that wouldn't take advantage of it?

Thanks for all input.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 12
I found the ESW10 VERY good sounding portable headphones. I liked them almost as much as my balanced HD650s. If you don't need isolation, since they don't isolate that well, then you won't be disappointed. If you do need isolation but don't want something in your ear, try a HD-25 1 II ($199).

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 12
I have esw10jpn & personally, I don't find isolation a problem, and I commute in the NYC by subway, etc. They don't isolate like closed circumaurals, but I don't really need to block out sound completely. Haven't tried these on planes but I used my Sennheiser PXC450 on planes, trains, cabs, everything. Even without noise cancelling (which I don't use for SQ purposes) PXC450 blocks out really well. And much more comfortable to wear than ESW10JPN b/c they're completely circumaural, plus they fold up like origami, into hardshell case.

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked them almost as much as my balanced HD650s.

Same here.
wink.gif

The ESW10 is one of the most involving phones I've ever heard. I was sad to see someone here chose the PRO900 instead of the ESW10 which is very musical and make me "feel" the music.
About the isolation, I don't think it's a trouble. My roomate has no problem with that when I use it.

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 12
For what it's worth... I work in the media and my workplace is basically a huge newsroom with 50 TV's on at once, people yelling across the room at one another and overall medium loud chaos. When I have on my ESW9's all I hear is the sweet sweet strumming from my man Eric Clapton.

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have experience with the HD-25 1 II with the HD650 cable AND the ESW10JPN? How similar are they?

or ESW 9 vs 10JPN? Is the difference worth the premium?

I'd be interested in these comparisons as well. I'm also on the lookout for a good non-IEM portable
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 12
I have my esw10 for three weeks now and they worth the money I paid. The most musical phone I've heard. I prefer it over my UE 10 for portable use. I find it easy to drive, good looking, light, involving, it's just fun. I drive it with Mustang p51 but it will work straight out of dap.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my esw10 for three weeks now and they worth the money I paid. The most musical phone I've heard. I prefer it over my UE 10 for portable use. I find it easy to drive, good looking, light, involving, it's just fun. I drive it with Mustang p51 but it will work straight out of dap.

Do the ESW's have the 'sonic signature' for rock/metal or are they bad for that type of music?

What type of music do you listen to with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back