Would the ATH-M50x be a huge upgrade for my current headphones? if not, wich?
Jun 18, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #16 of 25
  i also was looking for the hd598 for upgrading my momentum on ears, the on ears where my first <50$ headphones.

what do u guys think about these cans if i will be listening to them on my meizu? do u guys find the 3.5mm adapter impractical?

The HD 598 has a replaceable cable and their are multiple quality options in various lengths and both 1/8" and 1/4" terminations.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #17 of 25

A bass enhanced can does not have to have a "V" shaped EQ.

The HD 598 is an excellent can.  While it will be superior in clarity, detail retrieval and imaging over your Momentums, it have the velvet smooth Senn veil and is not as clear as a number of similarly priced offerings by brands AKG and Beyer.

oh i see, im pretty ignorant about some things and the language barrier doesnt help too much.

i found the mt220 and the hd598 for almost the same price here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1037615-REG/yamaha_hph_mt220bl_hph_mt120_studio_monitor_headphones.html

what do you think would be the better option in terms of SQ? or which worth more the money?

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #18 of 25

A bass enhanced can does not have to have a "V" shaped EQ.

The HD 598 is an excellent can.  While it will be superior in clarity, detail retrieval and imaging over your Momentums, it have the velvet smooth Senn veil and is not as clear as a number of similarly priced offerings by brands AKG and Beyer.

oh i see, im pretty ignorant about some things and the language barrier doesnt help too much.

i found the mt220 and the hd598 for almost the same price here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1037615-REG/yamaha_hph_mt220bl_hph_mt120_studio_monitor_headphones.html

what do you think would be the better option in terms of SQ? or which worth more the money?

They are both excellent headphones and do different things very well.  In your case, I'd recommend the MT220.

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #20 of 25
Are the MT220's really a *huge* upgrade from his Sennheiser Momentums though? 

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #22 of 25
Ask the OP:

Quote:
   i see a lot of people recomending the ath50x and i want to know if these cans would be a huge upgrade for my current senns and if not, wich headphones could be a lot better?
i like to listen to almost every genres of music exept hip hop and these kind of bassy music, i also dont like rap, but i love rock and metal (the "soft" type), some types of electronic music and pop, but in general i want a set of cans that sound good with almost every genre.

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #23 of 25
  Ask the OP:

Quote:
   i see a lot of people recomending the ath50x and i want to know if these cans would be a huge upgrade for my current senns and if not, wich headphones could be a lot better?
i like to listen to almost every genres of music exept hip hop and these kind of bassy music, i also dont like rap, but i love rock and metal (the "soft" type), some types of electronic music and pop, but in general i want a set of cans that sound good with almost every genre.

Without specific parameters--OP's or yours--that's an impossible question to answer.  The discussion is, under those circumstances, at least 90% subjective and therefore a waste of time.

It is clear that the MT 220 is a far more accurate, neutral and extended headphone the Momentum On Ear.  However, if you prefer the color sound signature of the Momentum, the equation changes. 

I'll let you opine as to whether the M50X is a "huge upgrade" from his current can.  I'll only say that I find it to be materially better in almost every respect than the Momentum and inferior in almost every respect, except for portability, than the MT 220.  Again however--if you prefer the "v" (read smaller than "V")  sound signature of the M50X, then once again your personal equation changes.

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #24 of 25

Without specific parameters--OP's or yours--that's an impossible question to answer.  The discussion is, under those circumstances, at least 90% subjective and therefore a waste of time.

But you've already answered it-the Yamaha MT220. 

I personally think the ATH-M50x is overrated and a downgrade from the Momentum On Ear, and yes, it's subjective. But Head-Fi has always been based on subjective opinions. I've never heard the MT220 so I was curious if it was really a huge upgrade from the Momentum, unamped. 

What are my parameters? Your subjective opinion of course. 

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #25 of 25
  Are the MT220's really a *huge* upgrade from his Sennheiser Momentums though? 

But you've already answered it-the Yamaha MT220. 

I personally think the ATH-M50x is overrated and a downgrade from the Momentum On Ear, and yes, it's subjective. But Head-Fi has always been based on subjective opinions. I've never heard the MT220 so I was curious if it was really a huge upgrade from the Momentum, unamped. 

What are my parameters? Your subjective opinion of course. 

The MT220 is my current favorite headphone, and I've owned much more expensive headphones and auditioned others, including the Abyss, HE1000, HE-6, and HD 800. Of course, as we all know, this is fairly subjective, and there are all sorts of reasons to prefer another headphone. Perhaps if I heard those ultra-high-end headphones on the right rig under the right circumstances, my preference would change. I know the HE-6 needs modifications and an expensive speaker amp to sound its best, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back