Would the ATH-A700 be best for me?
Apr 25, 2008 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Talash

New Head-Fier
Hiya folks!

Let me preface this post by saying that I'm a complete newbie when it comes to quality audio (most of the equipment I'm using now is all hand-me-downs). Luckily, when I'm going to buy something new I like to do some proper research, which has led me to this forum. If I say anything incorrect, feel free to point it out.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking to buy some new closed headphones, preferably <$200. These would be for home use, specifically for general use on my PC with gaming and also a fair bit of music/movies/TV shows etc. I tend to be on my computer a lot, so comfort is important as well. I think my current headphones are decent ones (though maybe not suited for my uses), an old Sony MDR-7509 that I found gathering dust in my house. Sadly I won't be able to use them for much longer, mostly because of some damage done by my younger siblings.

Besides headphones, I currently have an Asus Xonar D2 for my sound card which gives me access to Dolby Headphone. I have no idea how good that is though, as I didn't even know I had DH capability until I came here (initially looking for surround headphones info, dodged a bullet there, whew). I'll probably be checking that out right after I post this.

I also have an amp, but I have no idea how good it is as it was just a hand-me-down from when my dad upgraded his computer. It is a Panasonic SA-XR25. I have no idea if it'd be better to run my cans through the amp, or directly from the sound card though. Heh, just looked at the front of it and and noticed that it supports a lot of the same Dolby stuff as my Xonar D2. Did I mention that I'm new to all this? Haha.

Looking through the discussions here, the best option in my price range seems to be the ATH-A700 (assuming I'm reading the correct prices) with the ATH-AD700 a little better for gaming, but I'm currently unable to use any open cans. The headphone buyers guide says they have 'crappy pleather pads'. Is that much of a problem?

Would the A700 be a good fit for my needs? If not, what would you guys (and gals,
wink.gif
) recommend? I'm also wondering how much of a difference there is between the A700, and the A900. If it's big, then I might be able to go a bit over $200 if needed to snag them.

Assuming I'm on the right track here, I'm wondering if there are any recommended vendors I should go through to purchase these. I am limited to purchasing online, and live in Canada.

Thanks in advance for any info I may get.

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 4
I've managed to free up a bit more money for making this purchase. After a bunch more reading, I'm thinking the way to go would probably be the A900. I'd be using them for a long time, which is enough to justify the extra cost over the A700. Of course, this now opens up a several new questions.

Since the pads (same for both A700 and A900?) sound to be of relatively low quality compared to the cans as a whole, I'm considering also buying a pair of W5000 pads to swap in. From threads like this one it seems as though they should fit.

Would this be a good way to go for making the A900 more comfortable? Would these new pads effect the sound (better/worse) at all?

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 4
I can't really comment because i never tried them long enough but, A900 is used by many in professional gaming. So i suppose it's really good for gaming/movie use.

Anyway, good luck for your purchase! enjoy friend
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 4
I own the A900LTD and have compared them to the A900. I find the LTD's pads more comfortable but there isn't much difference in the sound.

The A900LTD is very good for gaming but I've found that Sennheisers and Beyers work well for movies.

I've owned an SA-XR receiver, the headphone out is noise free but I found it unmusical. Give it a try and see what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back