Would Shure se530 or se420s be an upgrade over E4?
Jan 1, 2008 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jonoh

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

It has been awhile since I posted here and there have been a lot of new products introduced over the last couple years which leads me to my question.

Would the Shure se530 or se420 be an upgrade over Shure E4? I use my E4s with my Ipod while traveling and at the gym. I do use an amp most of the time, either a Supermacro or Supermini (old one).

To give you some idea of what I like in headphones, I like the E4 a lot. Soundwise, I slightly prefer the Etys ER4Ps for the detail and sparkling highs but the Shure's form factor is more comfortable and has far less microphonics. I also like Grados, especially the Reference line and own an RS1.

Given my preferences, is either of the newer Shures going to be an upgrade for me?

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 5
In my opinion the SE420 is more representative of what music should sound like, hence being superior in audiophile qualities. But it's still an IEM, so it naturally comes with severe limitations in the "sparkling highs" and soundstage.

From a quick comparison a while back, the SE420 might have sounded more detailed than the E4c, and with better treble extension. It won't sound as thick and punchy as your Grados compared to the 530, but I think the SE420 is an overall sweetspot in the SE line-up, having the more neutral signature.

If you can find it B-stock from HeadRoom, I suggest you take it right away. Otherwise, eBay has them ranging from $200 - $250.

Jan 1, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 5
The SE530 is the best in overall in my personal experience, but you need it to be fully run-in and driven by a good amp; or the performance of both ends would not be good enough. That's why some complained it lacks of treble or bass. I found its best sound until pairing it with the Corda Move. This earphone is easier be driven but difficult to get its best performance. Once you have got its best output, then you wouldn't complain any thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back