Would Senn phones still be popular if they only sold for retail?
Aug 27, 2006 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
Personally, I wouldn't have bought my 650's for 550.00..If I could get Grado's top of the line for 400.00 or less I would have bought those instead..Mind you, I'm new to all this..Started in June..If you could buy Grado's for 30%-40% off retail I'm sure they would be king of this forum IMO..

Aug 27, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 15
Ive got a pair of HD650's and I definately would not have paid full retail for them (I got them used here on head-fi). They are worth every cent of what I paid ($235), but thats more than 1/2 off of retail.
With high end audio (headphones in this case), I find it very rare that I ever think something is worth full retail. The only pair of headphones that I think is worth 100% retail cost (THAT IVE HEARD/OWNED) are the Etymotic ER4S's at $299.99. Im sure there are plenty of others out there and that's not to say I havent paid some insane full retail prices for some pairs of cans...
rs1smile.gif
gs1000.gif

Jussei

Aug 27, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 15
As far as this forum goes... I don't think retail prices would deter folks from buying them. If youre a fan of THAT sound, and theres no other place to get it, you have no choice but to pay retail.

I know retail pricing didn't deter me from the RS1. It does things, and produces sounds that no other headphone can do, and continually (after nearly a year) puts a
rs1smile.gif
on my face. That makes it worth every penny.

Aug 27, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei
Ive got a pair of HD650's and I definately would not have paid full retail for them (I got them used here on head-fi). They are worth every cent of what I paid ($235), but thats more than 1/2 off of retail.
With high end audio (headphones in this case), I find it very rare that I ever think something is worth full retail. The only pair of headphones that I think is worth 100% retail cost (THAT IVE HEARD/OWNED) are the Etymotic ER4S's at $299.99. Im sure there are plenty of others out there and that's not to say I havent paid some insane full retail prices for some pairs of cans...
rs1smile.gif
gs1000.gif

Jussei

How bout grados
wink.gif

Never seen them heavily discounted (cept for that site for a while)

Aug 27, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
How bout grados
wink.gif

Never seen them heavily discounted (cept for that site for a while)

That's what I was eluding to with the smilies. I paid (almost) full retail for a pair of RS-1's and I did recently pay full retail for GS1k's. Were they worth full retail? I still don't know yet. Ive since sold the RS-1's and I enjoyed them while I had them. I really love the GS1k's currently and I guess I shelled out the money for them so they are 'worth' the retail price to me.
I guess what I was saying with the Ety's was that if my pair of ER4S's broke tomorrow, I wouldnt think twice about dropping full retail price to replace them. With my Grados, Id have to think hard about it even though I do love them dearly. If I could only replace my HD650's for full retail, I would make the easy decision not to buy another pair.

Aug 27, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #8 of 15
Lol, i paid 1.5x retail price for my KSC-75 and i still think i got my money's worth
biggrin.gif

I think it's much harder to make it 'worth it' the higher the price (id say over $200)

Aug 27, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
As far as this forum goes... I don't think retail prices would deter folks from buying them. If youre a fan of THAT sound, and theres no other place to get it, you have no choice but to pay retail.

I know retail pricing didn't deter me from the RS1. It does things, and produces sounds that no other headphone can do, and continually (after nearly a year) puts a
rs1smile.gif
on my face. That makes it worth every penny.

It's stopping me.. That & the fact that I don't know where to audtion them at in my area..& don't feel like previewing them, ala, buying them, then returning them..But yes, if The RS1's melted my brain & ear drums, full price wouldn't be too bad..

Aug 27, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 15
there have been comments made about certain headphones that are "supposed" to cost a given amount, but have never sold for that.

something about a headphone looking good when it has a high retail value, but is on sale....

Aug 27, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
there have been comments made about certain headphones that are "supposed" to cost a given amount, but have never sold for that.

something about a headphone looking good when it has a high retail value, but is on sale....

Yeah, it's like a high for me..I saved 300.00 or so on retail..But again..paying a 1,000 for phones puts you in a very small class, which is cool IMO.. Not so much on this forum, but in general..

Aug 27, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 15
I don't know the official retail price of the hd600, but i would certainly pay it if necessary for a replacement. OTOH, I wouldn't buy a grado even if I could get a 80% discount
600smile.gif
, the value of a headphone is very subjective.

Bas

Aug 27, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
Personally, I wouldn't have bought my 650's for 550.00..If I could get Grado's top of the line for 400.00 or less I would have bought those instead..Mind you, I'm new to all this..Started in June..If you could buy Grado's for 30%-40% off retail I'm sure they would be king of this forum IMO..

Buy what you like and it ends there.
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't buy the RS1, not even for something like 300 euro. For that price I would buy me a new HD650.
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #14 of 15
If all sorts of headphones cost their retail price, then I bet I would be listening to an HD595 right now. You wouldn't see a trace of a Grado over here, nonetheless.
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #15 of 15
If you really love a sound, sometimes you just gotta have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back