Would replacing the power cable to the AMP or DAC provide any benefit?
Jun 4, 2015 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

securitybunny

Head-Fier
I currently have a LessLoss DFPC Original power cable lying around and was wondering if there was any benefit to replacing the stock power cable on an amp or dac. If so, since I only have one replacement cable, which would provide more benefit - using it on an amp or using it on a dac?

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 4
Power cable really do not affect the sound much. Remember your power AC comes from several hundreds of kilometers of copper wires.

That said, DAC is usually more prone to power quality problems. If your power cable has a filter inside, it might benefit the performance a little.

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #4 of 4
  I currently have a LessLoss DFPC Original power cable lying around and was wondering if there was any benefit to replacing the stock power cable on an amp or dac. If so, since I only have one replacement cable, which would provide more benefit - using it on an amp or using it on a dac?

Power cables are isolated from the audio signal by a complex protective thicket of power supplies and secondary properties of signal handling circuits.  

What are the technical requirements on a power cable?

(1) Reliably deliver the required power.

(2) Not act as a conduit for EMI in the case of gear that is faulty when it comes to handling EMI. 

In fact both requirements can be failed, but shielded power cables that meet requirement #2 are stock items that are sold for under $10. by most larger electronics stores.  

Every once in a while I end up diagnosing and replacing a faulty power cord in a client PC system. I've also seen plug strips that are faulty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back