Would putting my Plextor Premium in an external enclosure affect rip quality?
May 18, 2009 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sgt_Strider

100+ Head-Fier
So I have a Plextor Premium drive (v.1) and if I remember correctly, it's one of the better CD rippers on the market. I use to leave it plugged into the computer, but now I've moved to a smaller case and honestly I rather have a DVD burner plugged in because it's more versatile. I'm thinking of buying an external enclosure and then stick the Premium in it. My question is whether this will affect the quality of the rips? Will there be any differences or potential problems from ripping with an external enclosure versus connecting it via the internal IDE interface?

May 18, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 6
Well why don't you try it and tell us then...

If it's data CD you're ripping, I'd say no problem at all...
But for audio cd, it's all hocus pocus (even jitter can reduce sq), so I cannot be sure...

May 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 6
Of course it's not a problem.

You don't rip the audiostream as in terms of frequency and stuff but it's representation in bits and that with checksums and redundancy.

May 18, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 6
If you have a look, for example, in the dBPoweramp forums you'll find lots of information about the ability to detect C2 errors when using USB and FireWire interfaces. To sum things up based on what I've read here and there, FireWire has proven to be pretty problematic in general, while USB usually works fine. However, even with USB interfaces and Plextor drives, some users have had to rely on Plextools to enable proper C2 detection.

I'm going through a similar situation right now, and actually just posted here yesterday about melting my PX-230A (better ripper than even the Premium... but that's another story) in an attempt to connect it to my laptop. I've got another one on order as well as a high quality USB enclosure, so I'm just waiting on the new parts to arrive before I start testing things with CD ripping.

May 18, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nah, it will be great.

Depending on whether or not C2 error detection works properly
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back