Would my iPod/DT770 Pro-80 Combo benefit greatly from an amp?
Nov 4, 2008 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jsplice

500+ Head-Fier
I've been toying with the idea of getting an entry-level amp, and use the LOD on my iPod 5th gen 30 gig. I like the sound of these Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80s, but it seems like they could benefit from using an amp and bypassing the iPod's output stage.

Is this true?

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 6
The DT770's need quite a bit of power to function at their best... the ipod doesn't even come close. So yes, an amp would do your DT770's a great deal of good.

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 6
Well I'd like to stay around $200. I was thinking maybe the iBasso D3 (which would enable me to also use the built-in DAC with my laptop), but I haven't seen many reviews on it.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 6
that would be a good choice the D# has reviewed very well,. have you seen skylabs portable amp thread?? I havent heard it but it has been very well recieved here on head-fi. and yes the DT770 will improve tremendously with an amp. Although I think even with a portable amp they wont reach their FULL potential. they are pretty hungry cans. also if you can use a soldering iron rinkcustoms is on the money the ipod 5.5G is a prime candidate for a DIYMOD
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back