Would my home theatre receiver be able to drive Sennheiser HD 650s?
Dec 11, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #16 of 33
I have PS4 and cable box and bluetooth feeding into the AVR. The issue is if the receiver cannot drive the headphones through the jack, then I don't know how I could connect the headphones to the receiver even with an amp. I don't think it has any other passive outs. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #17 of 33
  I have PS4 and cable box and bluetooth feeding into the AVR. The issue is if the receiver cannot drive the headphones through the jack, then I don't know how I could connect the headphones to the receiver even with an amp. I don't think it has any other passive outs. 

you can buy 2 RCA Y splitter cables,like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-RCA-Y-Adapter-Inches/dp/B005DL2OVE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481489116&sr=8-3&keywords=rca+y+splitter

get a decent headphone amp,and your problem will be solved.

If I were you Id get the HD650,see how it does with your receiver and then go from there...I do know that the HD series is quite scaleable,meaning they can improve dramatically with better amps/DACs

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 33
I dunno,check the specs of your receiver to see if it does or not...If not what are you using as your source(what do you use to play music)?

In likely hood if your receiver doesnt have any audio outs then your source should

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #20 of 33
Yes good point, but two issues:

1. My PS4 would be a main source, and it does not have a direct audio output. I might be able to make something work through the USB ports not sure.
2. If I hook up my PS4 directly, then I wouldn't be able to use it for the other sources very easily, which would be a pain. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #21 of 33
  Yes good point, but two issues:

1. My PS4 would be a main source, and it does not have a direct audio output. I might be able to make something work through the USB ports not sure.
2. If I hook up my PS4 directly, then I wouldn't be able to use it for the other sources very easily, which would be a pain. 

then you could split your PS4 HDMI with this...then feed it into an amp that has an hdmi input.

You might want to read this thread here too,for potential issues/solutions

http://www.head-fi.org/t/645674/problem-connecting-headphone-amp-to-av-receiver-and-listening-to-hdmi-sources

EDIT: there are also cables/converters that go from HDMI to USB for more options,however Ive never used one so i cant say how it performs.

TBH I have no less than 3 sources,4 receivers(3 vintage)a tube speaker amp and a PS4 all interconnected in my system,so what im suggesting can be done it just takes a bit of research.

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #22 of 33
Hmmm..... unfortunately I'm debating about buying these and I can't simply plug them in to see... I was hoping the information I provided regarding impedance and voltage would be sufficient! If the headphone jack can't push these, then how can I plug them into my avr??

well that receiver has zone 2 line out...so you could hook a dedicated headphone amp such as the $100~ Schiit modi 2 EDIT: Magni 2 ... to the line out...

I have a Yamaha RX-V573 HT receiver,  I amusingly had never tried it w/ my beyerdyamic DT880 250Ohms headphones...   at first I forgot and had the processing still on.. and it sounded pretty terrible...  quickly I switched the receiver to DIRECT Mode..bypassing most of the processing..  it was ok~ish.. it would certainly get loud...but not sounding at all as good as my Vintage Kenwood KR-V106R receiver on my computer desk.

but with the direct mode at least I could see listening to it.... I would not say I'll be selling my vintage receivers or my new DarkVoice 336SE in favor of it certainly however.

I can say with almost 100% certainty it will sound like warmed over b*** if you don't switch to the direct /pure mode (whatever Onkyo calls it).

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #24 of 33

well that receiver has zone 2 line out...so you could hook a dedicated headphone amp such as the $100~ Schiit modi 2 to the line out...

I think you mean The Magni,no?

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #26 of 33
Ok thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately the zone 2 does not work with digital inputs I think....

Could I plug a headphone amp into the receivers headphone jack?

no youre missing his point....you feed the music out of zone 2(not in) into a dedicated headphone amp via RCA cables...that should work.

EDIT: Oh i see what youre saying...you think no sound comes out of zone B when fed a digital source(PS4)...hmmm,dunno man....that sounds odd,but you could be right.

Go back and read what I said a few posts up about HDMI splitters and HDMI to USB converters...that might be your solution if in fact your zone B doesnt work.

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #27 of 33
Could I plug a headphone amp into the receivers headphone jack?

you might be able to use this

https://www.amazon.com/Cables-12-Foot-3-5-mm-Audio-Y-Cable/dp/B000I3XIFI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1481491544&sr=8-6&keywords=1%2F4+inch+male+to+rca+male

Add a 1/4" adapter so it fits into your headphone jack and then feed into a headphone amp...but again Ive never tried that so dont quote me on it.

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #28 of 33

Hopefully the PS4 and Cable box are connected to the Onkyo using HDMI?

I do not think you will have an issue with the Onkyo's headphone jack driving the 300-Ohm HD650.

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #29 of 33
Thanks guys. Indeed I think the zone 2 does not output from digital inputs (HDMI), so that wouldn't work. Perhaps I can do USB or HDMI or something. I'll figure it out.

Ok.... maybe I won't get HD650s because might be a bit of a fuss. Perhaps I can get something easier to drive like Hifiman HE400i. But the impedance on those is around 35 I think and my impression is that the impedance of the headphones needs to be at least 8 times greater than the output impedance ? With those it would almost be 1:1 if using the receiver jack...

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #30 of 33
Thanks guys. Indeed I think the zone 2 does not output from digital inputs (HDMI), so that wouldn't work. Perhaps I can do USB or HDMI or something. I'll figure it out.

Ok.... maybe I won't get HD650s because might be a bit of a fuss. Perhaps I can get something easier to drive like Hifiman HE400i. But the impedance on those is around 35 I think and my impression is that the impedance of the headphones needs to be at least 8 times greater than the output impedance ? With those it would almost be 1:1 if using the receiver jack...

ummm no,If youre going to go the HiFiMan route get the 400S,not 400i...

400S was created to be driven straight from a smartphone whereas the 400i needs some amping and then were right back where we started.

Ohms arent the only thing to take into consideration when choosing a headphone,you need to look at sensitivity as well....Take a look at the HE-6 for example,on paper it doesnt appear to be super hard to drive.....on paper!

Its the hardest headphone on the planet to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back