Would love some help with choosing a headphone (New Zealand)|| Audio Technica SQ5/ES7 vs MS-1?
Dec 27, 2008 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

paperX

New Head-Fier
Hi guys I'm a complete amateur when it comes to headphones so would love some advice from you guys
smily_headphones1.gif

I posted in the portable headphones subforum but it seems they're more interested in IEMs so I thought it'd probably be appropriate here .

Situation:
I need a pair of headphones for general use, mostly listening to music on the go with an iPod Classic 80gb, but also for laptop and psp use.

At the moment I'm using a Koss KSC75, but would really like to replace them with something as the clips keep falling off and the discomfort factor as I wear glasses.

What I'm looking for and budget:
Would love something that's decent at blocking out background noise as I listen to music on the bus quite a lot.

I'm kinda short on cash so something around $60 ~ 80us dollars would probably be my budget.

What I listen to:
I appreciate a wide range of sounds really...Radiohead, Blonde Redhead, post rock like pelican and This Will Destroy You, classic rock like Guns n' roses too, My Bloody Valentine, Daft Punk and other house/electro stuff, instrumental and classic stuff sometimes, and more vocal softer stuff as well.

Just naming some stuff off the top of my head, basically I listen to many genres, perhaps not so much hip-hop and rap though. I guess you couldn't call me a basshead either, although I do like drum and bass too.

What I've looked at:
Sennheiser HD201 - really great budget-wise but not really portable, I'm thinking of getting a Fiio E5 amp to get better volume and bass out of it with the iPod

Sennheiser PX100 - these are within my price range but I don't really like the design much, looks kinda flimsy to me.

Audio-Technica ATH-SJ3 & Elecom EHP-CL430- the design of these are pretty much what I'm looking for, but I have no idea what the sound quality of these are.

Audio Technica ATH-SQ5(price is australian dollars, around 85us) - Interested in these too...how good are these for the price?

Koss Portapro - I'm ok with the design, don't like the plastic look of the material as much...and the metal headband looks painful when it gets caught on hair :S

AKG K414P (around 60us) - I like the price, and the folding design is what I'm after too...just wondering how does these sound?

I'm also planning on trying out a Fiio E5 amp to get a bit more out of the headphones so just as a side thing, any headphones that work well with the thing would be great
smily_headphones1.gif

I had a look around and there doesn't seem to be many places I can get the headphones I'm interested in for a reasonable price here in New Zealand, so I'm mainly looking at ordering from online, would also appreciate any suggestions on sites that I can order for a good price without blowing too much extra on shipping.

sorry for the bother, thanks in advance guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 15
Really? I heard (heck that site I linked even says so) that they offer some isolation and are closed, which is why I was considering them...hmmm
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks for the help though! Much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 15
"They offer some isolation from outside noise."

This is true, and all closed headphones do offer some isolation. However, my JBL 410 provides very little isolation, and the AKG is practically the same model. I just tested mine with the music off while pushing it against my ears to form a good seal. I could still hear the 3 small fans in my PC that's 6 feet away with the side panel off. I'm guessing it blocks maybe 5 to 10 dB of mostly higher frequencies, which is not very much. Other more common sounds are very easy to hear.

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks man! It's information like these that really help with a purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

After some consideration I'm narrowing it down to the Audio Technica ATH-SQ5 and now, possibly the Audio Technica ATH-ES7.

I've looked around on the forums and the net and opinions seem to differ, some say the ES7 is much better and some say there aren't much difference between them, and the SQ5 is more comfortable to wear.

I'd rather not spend as much as the ES7 if I don't have to so...is the extra money worth the difference?

Dec 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 15
arrrgh...after looking around I'm starting to be tempted by the MS-1's since they're the same price point as the ES7...but I guess they won't be suited for my needs due to their open nature...

....and to think I started off the search with considering the HD201...the budget just keep rising higher and higher
eek.gif

EDIT: anybody have some opinions on the SQ5's in comparison to those two? If the sound quality isn't too bad, i might just stick with them.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 15
Any verdict on how the SQ5 stacks up against the ES7 or the MS-1 guys?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes, welcome to Head-Fi (sorry about your wallet).

Haha...I feel sorry for it myself...it's gonna get a lot lighter by the end of this
smile_phones.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 15
Both are reviewed here but you have to use Google translator except for the numeric tables that can be compared without translation. The eighth link down on the left presents a listing of various headphones reviewed.

He&Bi‚̃wƒbƒhƒzƒ“ƒTƒCƒg

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 15
WOW, you certainly went for style. I love the SQ5 look.

Looks like a tough decision there.

From what I read, between the SQ5 and ES7, SQ5 are slightly bigger, maybe more comfortable? For sound, just depends on how much you want to spent. ES7 will have a slight edge, and their sound are fairly similar.

But if you don't mind having an Open Air, MS-1 seems to be better than both for the music you listen to I would think.

Also if you don't mind a large headphone, I personally don't care if people stare at me in public, try the A500 or A700?

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #12 of 15
They're a bit over my budget...and I would prefer it if they were closed as I intend on using it on the bus. Seems like the SQ5 is obvious choice by the look of things
would love to know if anyone can confirm the sound quality though
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #13 of 15
Have you considered the iGrado or SR60s. They would be a whole lot more exciting sounding than a pair of A-Ts. The iGrado synergises well with the Fiio E3. I know, I've had that setup.

The iGrado would work well too, being a behind the neck design, they work well with glasses. Still, the SR60 is unbeatable value.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks for the advice man, the SR60 sounds good but I'm really looking for a pair of headphones that are closed and give good sound isolation.

The iGrado's seem pretty good for sound, but I'm not sure about the design...the clip part still sits on the ears right? so I dont see how it would be different from the earclips :S (they don't sit on my ears, rather beside the ends of my glasses(sound leak due to the gap created or 'on top' (which they then move around easily).

Anyways I sent you a PM back
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 15
I can happily confirm on the excellent sound quality of the sq5. good controlled bass, not the sort which sucks up the details of the midrange, which are also present, and clear lucid highs, piano based music is a sheer joy. some plasticky resonance can be heard, but that's what you pay for the isolation on cheaper closed back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back