Would like some advice please. (about to purchase)
Dec 30, 2008 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

d4ryle

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm new to the forum and found some excellent advice on here already. Unfortunately my ER6i's are broken and needed to be replaced. They have been traveling around the world with me and have got a LOT of abuse. I loved how they sound
dt880smile.png
and didn't really notice the lack of bass 95% of the time.

After a recommendation from a friend (I will not listen to them again
angry_face.gif
) I bought a pair of Shure SE210. I'm highly disappointed
frown.gif
, in fact I pretty much refuse to listen to them. I also paid the same for both £65 +/- a few pence. I'm not good with the terms but they sound muddy, highs are harsh and bass seems non-existent compared to my ER6i's. I'm sure I've got a good seal using the tri-flange tips.

Any who, after some reading I've been looking at the ER4P and HF5, think I'll be sticking with Ety but I am open to suggestions. Being impatient I'm soon to order the ER4P's due to the not being able to find stock of the HF5 in the UK. Amazon UK states 1-2 months until dispatched... that is way to long.

Basically just want to know if I'm making the right choice but also open to suggestions, £150 is my maximum limit.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 6
Dec 30, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 6
heh..this is one of the few times ive heard someone say the bass of the ER6i was better than another iem :p

If you liked the ER6i, you should find no trouble liking the ER4p then
smily_headphones1.gif

I would say go with the ER4P...getting that is definitely not a bad choice

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you'd like the HF5 for sure if you liked the ER6i. The HF5 is basically the same thing, just better all around.

Information on HF5 and comparison to ER4P/ER6i: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/e...1/#post5145969

The ER4P won't steer you wrong. I think it might be wise to pick up a 75 Ohm adapter for it though (makes it sound like the ER4S).

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/imp...1/#post5192515

Cool, thanks. I managed to miss "Comparison against Etymotic ER4P & ER6/6i by Synaesthetic" which makes me think the HF5 would be better suited to me. But I honestly can't wait that long for Amazon, maybe someone knows a place I can get these in the UK?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heh..this is one of the few times ive heard someone say the bass of the ER6i was better than another iem :p

If you liked the ER6i, you should find no trouble liking the ER4p then
smily_headphones1.gif

I would say go with the ER4P...getting that is definitely not a bad choice

Hehe, I know I honestly wouldn't have thought it was possible either. Maybe the Shure I have are defective
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The ER4P won't steer you wrong. I think it might be wise to pick up a 75 Ohm adapter for it though (makes it sound like the ER4S).

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/imp...1/#post5192515

only get this if you are using an amp; otherwise you wont be able to get much of anything out of them

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
only get this if you are using an amp; otherwise you wont be able to get much of anything out of them

True enough. An impedance adapter doesn't change the sound signature much unless you've got something to give them plenty of juice after the "dampening of power", so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back