would like recommendations / opinions on Tube (or maybe hybrid) headphone amp for DT880 Premiums 250ohms headphones. $300~ish (max)
Oct 8, 2016 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

atarione

500+ Head-Fier
Hello...new member here:

I have had my DT880 for going on 3yrs I guess now... I like them very much.. most of the time, the treble can be a bit harsh on some recordings however.

I have exactly zero experience with Tube amps... I have used SS Amps for these headphones since I received them  (amps used... vintage Kenwood KR-V106R, Pioneer SX-3600, Sony TA-E77ESD (pre amp) and also my FiiO E07K /E09K combo.

I have been looking  around a bit (this amp will probably be an xmas gift from my surprisingly patient and good sport~ish wife)... so researching options now.

what I have been considering ...impulse buy for myself closeout Vali 1 on close out $100

waiting till xmas for one  (options i have seen and considering so far) DarkVoice 336SE,Schiit Valhalla 2 (over budget... but maybe)... and then I saw this which is apparently new for 2016 but I can find exactly nothing really about it so..  Nobsound NS-09E Class A vacuum tube heaphone amp.  which looks ok... with aluminum chassis / thick~ish aluminum face plate has 6N3J × 2 + 6N5P × 1 tubes..  main reason looking at this price $180~ish on amazon right now...

music I like... country western (alt country), rock (classic / southern), reggae.... some rap .. probably most things except classical really I guess.

another option (but NOT both) ... is to maybe to keep the SS amps I have and get something like the Sennheiser HD600 for xmas and kick the can down the road on a tube amp.   This is an tempting option as I was quite torn between the DT880's and the HD600's 3yrs ago when I got the beyerdynamic... mostly the DT880's won because they went on sale and cost $100+ less at the time than the HD600's

I would appreciate any and all help / suggestions.

cheers.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 7
I have no regrets buying the Darkvoice 336SE :)

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Vali 1 for $99 is a solid option for the DT880. Worked extremely well with my 880's when I had them.

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 7
If you have soldering skills, you can get a Project Ember II from Garage1217 for $300. It's a hybrid amp and can power pretty much anything you want to throw at it. I can only speak about the Ember personally, but Garage1217 has several tube amps on their site for less than that.

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 7

have you tried your DarkVoice with beyer DT880's by any chance?  i

I use my DV with my 880/600 and 990/600. It is an excellent match for hi-Z cans.

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 7
thanx for the replies..

the little vali would maybe be easier to live with.. I have a lot of stuff on my desk and I'm not sure I can easily fit the DV on it... hmmm  the DV is super sexy looking however so I'm willing to figure out how to fit it on my desk maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back