Would like help rebuilding my setup.
Jun 15, 2004 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dhelm

New Head-Fier
Well, good news for people who love bad news, i recently had all my cds and dvds and my headphones stolen out of a car. This equates to over $2000 and i have saved up and ready to start over.

But since I am starting over I am also replacing my Sony D-CJ500 that was a gift and got used extensively. I was thinking the iRiver SlimX-550. Yes? No? I use the thing to hell so I'd love durability. Now headphones to be used with it.

So I owned a pair of Pioneer HDJ-1000s, which I enjoyed very much because of the nice comfort, durability, noise cancallation, and of course sound quality. I havent heard them talked about at all on here, so im not sure what to think. I use them for all sorts of purposes. My PCDP, My home recording setup (have a Layla 24 soundcard), and various other applications. I will be buying a HiMD player once the technology advances a bit, and hopefully Sharp releases one. Are these a safe bet to get again or am i neglecting to see other nice ones? Would I be advised to get a headphone amp from Headroom?

My budget is far less than strict but not large either. Looking about $150 mailorder for cd and a little larger for headphones.

And if the future I will be buying earbuds, to be used in athletic activities and lack of visibility in the classroom will be an issue too
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks in advance for any advice, these forums are great, and when i retain enough information im looking forward to bringing it back here.
Thanks Again, Dan

Jun 19, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 3
I recommend:

Sony D-FJ401
Xin Supermini amp
Sennheiser HD555

You could probably get this together for around $300? Not sure sure though. Get the Cd player and headphones used. The CD player should be pretty inexpensive.

Jun 19, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 3
The HDJ-1000 is on balance a similar product to the Sony MDR-V700DJ, one of the most vilified phones here. I don't think you're going to get many people praising them. I had one of the first after release... and it wasn't a long-term relationship if you get my drift. If you like DJ style headphones, I'd highly recommend the Sennheiser HD25-1. It's a headphone that can be listened to by audiophiles without frowning, but it's also got a lot of the attributes of DJ phones (good bass, etc). It's also a lot more isolated, lighter and more portable than the HDJ-1000. It is also more efficient. In fact it's a better headphone altogether, and it doesn't look as stupid too. The 'on-ear' fit may put you off at first, but as you get used to it I'm sure you'll notice no difference in comfort to the Pioneer.

I don't know how you listen to your music, but if you're planning to rip yor CD's and transfer MP3 audio from the PC to the IMP you're planning to get, at this point in time I'd really start looking at a hard disk DAP. iPod Mini or iPod 15Gb is obviously the one that comes to mind at the budget end, but there's also the Creative Muvo2, the Zens, iRiver iHP-120, and many others. These could be had for just a bit more over a high-end PCDP and in my opinion it really is worth the difference in the change to your listening habits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back