Would it be illegal to advertise an iPod with songs on it?
Feb 15, 2004 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NewSc2

500+ Head-Fier
Thinkin about selling my iPod on eBay. Would it be illegal to advertise it as:

20gb iPod, currently contains a whole multitude of albums - Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Pixies, Paul Oakenfold, Miles Davis, etc. etc. I will reformat the iPod before the auction ends at buyer's request, otherwise it will be sold as-is with all memory intact.

Feb 15, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 6
This is a problem...it's not a lot different than advertising MP3 discs that you've burned. Not recommended.

Feb 15, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 6
Yes it definately is illegal.

...but

you can sell them and in your description state CLEARLY that the new owner must delete ALL of the songs he is not a legitimate owner of.

For example at ebay.de many many users sell computers and they say:

Windows xxxx installed. Must be deleted by the new owner.

But maybe its different because the windows OS is supposed to be installed for test reasons. Can you claim filing up 20 Gbytes for testing the hard drive completely? I dont know.

Feb 15, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 6
I though that part of the amount you pay when buying minidiscs and audio CDs goes to an artists' organization whatever its called.

Doesnt that give you the right to copy albums?

Feb 16, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 6
I don't believe it is illegal to advertise an iPod with songs already on it, although some might argue that sold in bulk, the selling of such an iPod might be illegal. In any case, transfer of songs to a single party in the US are almost certainly considered fair use under the Home Taping Act.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back