Would it be bad to convert FLAC to MP3s?
Jul 3, 2014 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tetsuro P12

New Head-Fier
Since I do not have anymore the original CD do you think it's bad to convert to MP3 from an already converted track? In my mind it could be ok since FLAC isn't a lossy codec. What do you think?

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 5
I don't see why it would be bad - as you say, you're going from lossless to lossy format - sometimes I convert FLAC files to 320 mp3 to save space. There are a number of third-party converters out there; I just use the conversion feature on Foobar personally.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 5
I recently converted my entire 20k+ song library to 320 as after hours of A/Bing, decided that I cannot hear a difference between FLAC and 320, even with mid-to-upper tier gear. It's nice to have that 150gb back.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 5
  I recently converted my entire 20k+ song library to 320 as after hours of A/Bing, decided that I cannot hear a difference between FLAC and 320, even with mid-to-upper tier gear. It's nice to have that 150gb back.

Same here. I never had a FLAC collection to begin with, but I did spend some time ABX testing FLAC and 320 and could hear no difference at all. I could possibly believe some difference might be perceived on speakers, where crosstalk comes into play (although I've never done any testing with speakers), but not on headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back