Would iMod procedure be redundant if......
Sep 22, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 12
I was going to post this same question. subscribed.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 12
I have no idea in reality, but from what I've read, I think it will. (and I read a fair amount on it, as I was thinking seriously about it .)
so you now have something akin to a quarter of a vote.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 12
I am also interested.

BTW, why do you need lossy?
Do you know about 240 GB upgrade for iMods (and iPod 5.5g)?

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also interested.

BTW, why do you need lossy?
Do you know about 240 GB upgrade for iMods (and iPod 5.5g)?

i actually have the 240 GB harddrive..............but i have so many CDs, I'd like to have a lot...........even if I encode it in lossy format i wont be able to fit even a 10th of my collection on the ipod

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i actually have the 240 GB harddrive..............but i have so many CDs, I'd like to have a lot...........even if I encode it in lossy format i wont be able to fit even a 10th of my collection on the ipod

I cannot help you with the problem, but I would like to say that is a lot of music. What is it, exactly? Just curious, but to have such a broad spectrum there, you either have to have a relatively broad taste, or have a huge collection of a genre that has an absolutely huge repertoire, such as classical or even opera (and even then, to like all periods an styles is to have relatively broad tastes).

- Nkk (an inquiring mind)

EDIT: so I reread your post, and here is my (very very rough) estimate:

at 1/10 of your collection = 240 GB, you have at least 2400 GB of music.
assuming 600 MB = .6 GB per CD
is about 4000 CDs. That is a lot.

Is that estimate anywhere close?

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 12
In my experience- yes, it is worth it, absolutely so.

Think of it this way- imagine you burn a cd for playback on a high quality cd player+amp, but use a lossy file. Would you still hear the difference in resolution, dynamics compared to a sub-par portable mp3 player? OF COURSE you would...

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot help you with the problem, but I would like to say that is a lot of music. What is it, exactly? Just curious, but to have such a broad spectrum there, you either have to have a relatively broad taste, or have a huge collection of a genre that has an absolutely huge repertoire, such as classical or even opera (and even then, to like all periods an styles is to have relatively broad tastes).

- Nkk (an inquiring mind)

EDIT: so I reread your post, and here is my (very very rough) estimate:

at 1/10 of your collection = 240 GB, you have at least 2400 GB of music.
assuming 600 MB = .6 GB per CD
is about 4000 CDs. That is a lot.

Is that estimate anywhere close?

Actually no, my estimate was wrong.....

I have 9500 CDs

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience- yes, it is worth it, absolutely so.

Think of it this way- imagine you burn a cd for playback on a high quality cd player+amp, but use a lossy file. Would you still hear the difference in resolution, dynamics compared to a sub-par portable mp3 player? OF COURSE you would...

That was my hunch, but the iMod procedure doesn't change the DAC chip, it just changes the signal path...........i didn't know if a minor change like that could be detectable without lossless.

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 12
my DIYMOD with duelund copper foil dock does not need (although it does like) fully lossless files to sound superior to a regular ipod. I have bout half half lossy/lossless on mine and even well ripped 256kb AAC oir VBR MP3 sound very good. of course the tracks that are very dynamic and difficult sound even better if lossless, but its not a necessity like some people make out. bass slam and extension in particular are noticeable even at lower bitrates. now of course i'm not totally impartial, but thats the way I use mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back