Would I prefer the sound signature of the UE11 to what I already own (please read specifics)
Sep 14, 2008 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I own the UE10, and the Shure SE530, and Triple Fi, and ER4P, and UM2....etc.

I love the UE signature on the UE10s, but I don't like the custom mold feeling, but please don't let that deter you from recommending the SOUND SIG of the UE11.

My reservation of the UE11s is I already feel the Triple Fis have too much bass impact for me.....and I think that UE11s probably have more bass impact than the triple Fis....am I right?

Overall, as of very recent, I've developed a special fondness for the superb midrange of the SE530s which I listen to at much lower volume levels because I don't feel the roll off when I listen lower.

I like the ER4P but not as much as the Triple Fis and Shure SE530 and not as much as the UE10........not enough bass impact.

While they're certainly rolled off, I find the SE530 to be very beautiful sounding if they're not blasted.

Do you think the UE11s sound signature would suit my tastes?

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm kinda like you in that I listen to my music at very low volumes - most of the time. If it's a song I really like, I'll crank it up (relative), then turn the volume down as loud music for sustained periods makes it hard to concentrate on the task at hand..

By low listening volume, I mean the lowest setting on any of my headamps at which there's no channel imbalance (iQube, HeadSix, Zen Head - all on low gain). I really wish there is an amp out there designed for very low listening volumes.

For this particular listening, I find the UE 11 fine. At 'normal' listening volumes and upwards, the bass impact is indeed greater than the TF10's. However, at low listening volumes, the bass driver of the UE 11 does not seem to kick in. Maybe it's just that way in my pair of customs, but at that same volume, the Atrio M8 would have a more prominent bass (but a significantly less prominent midrange and treble).

At that low volume, I don't feel the need to crank it up because vocals still come through very clearly on the UE 11.

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 6
Switching back and forth between the TF10s and UE11s connected to a Predator amp, I find the UE11s to be 30%-40% bassy-er but in an appealing not muddy kind of way.

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 6
Well Dave, I own the UE11s and this is what i think.

I definately think that the UE11s are awesome to listen to at low level volumes. That is part of the beauty of owning them. Realising that you dont need to crank them up to appriciate the beautiful ariculation and open window to the music you're listening to.

They have a REALLY POWERFUL sound even when played at very low volumes.

I have to agree with you on the custom mold feeling. Im actually dealing with a very very bad fit right now, which i posted all the details in another thread in this forum. But i live right by UE so this will all be sorted out very soon.

I think that the custom mold feeling is one thing that kills soundstage. For me i think that the UE11s have an amazing soundstage and music can definately feel like its coming out from waaaaaay past the boundaries of your head. I think many people focus alot on the actual molds when they listen, which might give them the impression that there is less soundstage because they realise their ears are plugged and are basically not able to breathe.

But back to your original question, the bass on the ue11s in my opinion are actually quite neutral. To me they seem to fit seamlessly with the music being played, kind of like a good speaker system. Never overbearing or boomy.

Its really amazing how the bass can be so deep and textured, then just when your expecting the high end to be quite overwhelmed, it rises out of nowhere and gives you this crystal clear, powerful sound.

Consider that i am using an iqube as amplification with them. The iqube is quite a neutral amp. Others experiences might be different with warmer amps such as the rsa predator or hornet. The bass i get with the iqube extends ultra low but is very neutral. So just keep that in mind, once you've read my impression.

Im going to post my impressions with pics in a new thread as soon as my fit issues are all sorted out.

Hope my few words have helped you out a little
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 6
I can't give you a recommendation based on your specific experiences with the iems you list, but I listen to mostly classical, with an assortment of jazz, blues, and classic rock, and I do so at moderate volume levels. While I still think that the UE 10s are outstanding, and I use them with an ipod when I travel, no question that I prefer the UE 11s. I use them at home with my Apache. I do not think that the bass overwhelms the rest of the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back