Would I Miss My SR225's?
Jul 14, 2006 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cousin Patty

Headphoneus Supremus
Would I miss my SR225's if I sold them and picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770's to use as my 'fun' can? Alot of people like the Beyer's because of the bass and overall fun factor. I like my SR225's because of their speed, presentation of guitars, and detail, but I find them to be lacking in bass quantity. In the future I would definitely consider sending the DT770's over to Larry at Headphile to make them Darth Beyers. Would I like them stock though? Thoughts? Opinions?

Jul 14, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
Would I miss my SR225's if I sold them and picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770's to use as my 'fun' can? Alot of people like the Beyer's because of the bass and overall fun factor. I like my SR225's because of their speed, presentation of guitars, and detail, but I find them to be lacking in bass quantity. In the future I would definitely consider sending the DT770's over to Larry at Headphile to make them Darth Beyers. Would I like them stock though? Thoughts? Opinions?

Do you have the Todd Flats? How about your amp? Are you using with a tube amp? Grado cans, the 225/RS1/2 in particular mate well with Tube amps, and they seem to drive them well, with better more organic bass, and usually helps provide more depth and projection to the secondary imaging, i.e secondary instrumentation, back up vocals, drumming etc..

cool.gif

Jul 14, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 8
I own both and I can safely say that one could never replace the other. If I had to choose one over the other, it would depend on my primary usage. I'd keep my DT770's for gaming but prefer the Grados to my kind of music (metal/hard rock).

Don't know what to tell you, but I know when I first got my SR225's I was disappointed and thought they sounded horrible...the next day I was in love.

Jul 14, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 8
I would not get rid of the 225. I love mine paired with my tube amp. I agree with the Grado having more bass with the tubes.

Jul 14, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
Do you have the Todd Flats?

+1, that will add quite a bit of bass and changing back to bowls is a couple seconds. Like having two different headphones for the extra $30.

Ant

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 8
No I dont have the flat pads but I do have some quarter-modded HD414 pads. I prefer the stock bowls though. I only consider getting the DT770's because at times the SR225's can sound a bit thin. However, I do eventually plan on getting an amp from Singlepower so I guess it wouldnt be a bad idea to just hold on to the SR225's. Dont get me wrong, I like them very much. Like I said before, they are very fast, detailed, and have great mids, and punchy bass. But with my current rig, they could definitely have MORE bass.

Jul 14, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 8
Get todd flat pads. With them bass gets more hump and it extends deeper than bowls, at the cost of some aggressiveness. Flats smooth the sound little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back