Would I hear the differance with my setup (HD650s vs HD700/800)
Feb 17, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
 Begs the question ~ where do these 'good as new' goodies with prices close to new end up?

Unfortunately, I suspect many sellers would just sell them again as "new", unless there is obvious visible damage. It is not uncommon to read complaints in user reviews of various online stores that the item received appeared to be used (scratches, etc.).

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #17 of 22

Quote:
Unfortunately, I suspect many sellers would just sell them again as "new", unless there is obvious visible damage. It is not uncommon to read complaints in user reviews of various online stores that the item received appeared to be used (scratches, etc.).

That's the dilemma - I've certainly heard the same, even vice versa - as in bloke No#1 buys 'repackaged' and ends up with
 a new unit (eg, some headphones are just obvious in that sense because of the packaging, once opened you can
 never re-package perfectly) and bloke No#2 who paid extra for new - gets a slightly crunched boxed, creased
 manuals and the odd hair/dandruff flakes in the ear cups - bonus!

Hmm - this in my mind is the real fallout from the online return policy. Paying exorbitant retail margin never appeals
 but in the long run with these online juggernauts and their 30-day return policy - the future could mean that no
 one can ever be guaranteed of ever receiving a brand new unit - as paid for.

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #18 of 22
No one can tell you what "better" is. Headphones aren't just better or worse, they have particular characteristics - think of wines. A lot of people would probably prefer your Grados to either set of HDs for listening to rock for example.

If you do want to drive either of those phones with a suitable amp that doesn't cost much, then google "Objective 2 amp".

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
If you're spending less than $1,000 on the amp, the chances are that the HD-650 is the better choice (speaking of the 800 vs the 650). I have never heard the 700

The performance of an amp (unlike a headphone) is easily assessed using electronic test equipment. The best sub-$200 headphone amps are already excellent (and probably better than the average $1000 amp...)

In fact, the Objective 2 seems like it can't be told apart from the Benchmark Pre's headphone stage - and the Pre is probably as good a DAC/Amp available at any cost - it's tested as being perfect past the limit of human hearing. I think one of head-fi's sponsors sells a build of the O2 - that and some googling should get you all the info you need.

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #20 of 22

Quote:

That's the dilemma - I've certainly heard the same, even vice versa - as in bloke No#1 buys 'repackaged' and ends up with
 a new unit (eg, some headphones are just obvious in that sense because of the packaging, once opened you can
 never re-package perfectly) and bloke No#2 who paid extra for new - gets a slightly crunched boxed, creased
 manuals and the odd hair/dandruff flakes in the ear cups - bonus!

Hmm - this in my mind is the real fallout from the online return policy. Paying exorbitant retail margin never appeals
 but in the long run with these online juggernauts and their 30-day return policy - the future could mean that no
 one can ever be guaranteed of ever receiving a brand new unit - as paid for.

If you get a headphone in the condition you describe, then send it back and say why - Amazon would certainly refund postage. And if you check ebay you'll find that a lot of stuff that is returned by users in that 30 day period gets sold as refurbs. So, no, it doesn't all get sent back out again as new.

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #21 of 22
You can click on the "used" link under the product price, "Amazon Warehouse Deals" sells off the returned products at 15-40% off their regular price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ULAP4U/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

There's an example... look at all the "used" M50s Amazon is selling. :eek:

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #22 of 22

Quote:
I have a amp the Neco aoundlab that cost me £200 and yes it did make a difference I don't have a dac because I'm not sure I need one with the nice sound card I have. I could do with a EQ to turn up the bass a bit though. Still I shall see how they sound when they come back from the shop. 

If you're using a computer then just use player software with a decent EQ built-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back