Would I benefit from an ipod line out cable upgrade?
Dec 30, 2006 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
How much difference would a Turbo Dock, ALO dock, or similar make in my portable setup? I already have a SikRam line-out with the firewire part cut off. I noticed viewing portable rigs that even people with PA2V2s seem to have spent 50+ on a nice line out.

Right now I have a 5g Ipod, SikRam, MisterX XP amp, and the Shure E4.

If someone could explain why or why not, who has heard both cheap and good line out connectors, please do.

Or if I missed a thread that covered this topic, please direct me to it.

Thanks,

Wyatt

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 7
Excellent question I have also, now that I await my MisterX XP amp from a fellow Head-Fier. I hope you get great responses. I am especially interested in comparisons of sound with mini-mini interconnect vs. lineout connection.

By the way, how do you like the XP amp with the Shures? Impressions of sound amped vs. umamped?

Jan 1, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 7
Well, after I got my Bling Bling, it was VERY obvious that the PA2V2 was the weakest link (no pun intended). It oddly enough had good synergy with the K701, but with the iM716 and KSC75, it KILLED them. No good sound whatsoever to me, and the soundstage...it was mutated.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) though, but to me...ah well, now I have a Hornet coming in
cool.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, after I got my Bling Bling, it was VERY obvious that the PA2V2 was the weakest link (no pun intended). It oddly enough had good synergy with the K701, but with the iM716 and KSC75, it KILLED them. No good sound whatsoever to me, and the soundstage...it was mutated.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) though, but to me...ah well, now I have a Hornet coming in
cool.gif

So do you think the Hornet+Bling Bling will sound better with the KSC75 and im716? I couldn't' tell if it was the cable that was a bad pair for the headphones or if the cable was too revealing for a PA2V2.

Do you wish you would have gotten a copper interconnect?

Jan 1, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do you think the Hornet+Bling Bling will sound better with the KSC75 and im716? I couldn't' tell if it was the cable that was a bad pair for the headphones or if the cable was too revealing for a PA2V2.

Do you wish you would have gotten a copper interconnect?

Well, actually there are two things that I think are the culprit:

1.) Both the KSC75 and iM716 are very sensitive to amping; VERY little is needed to get them to run loudly. When I run my iM716 and KSC75 through the headphone out, esp. with the KSC75 I feel this very good synergy that way. iM716 also sounds better through it, although I have a podless version.

2.) Yes, the cable is prob. too revealing. It is silver, where it seems to have its strengths in not really brightness, but treble clarity, more like.

Also, I am worried about my Bling Bling due to it is solid silver; it acts like a fancy paper clip. Bend it too many times and... Copper may be the same, but it will take more repetitive stains to get it to break afaik (As Far As I Know). But the copper came out about a week or two after I ordered the Bling Bling, so...
rolleyes.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 7
After consulting with Ken at ALO, I am going with the Vampire LOD. He is amazing, btw, if you need help or have questions.

As for the Bling Bling, it you have buyer's remorse due to the poor synergy and want copper instead, the Buy/Sell/Trade forum on this site is great. I bought my amp here a few days ago, and looking for IC and LOD, I noticed a Bling Bling dock sold in a matter of hours. Consider listing it there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back