Would I benefit from a portable amp?
Dec 4, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #17 of 32
Congrats on the amp. I probably would have purchased a fiio e11 as would have better resale value, but congrats none the less.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 32
If this doesnt work out im definitely planning on getting better headphones for xmas :)

ok here the thing...i have the sennheiser hd428's...i think ultimately they have some good sound...i think the bass is lacking (when holy crap compared to beats) but just slightly lacking

but this is the thing....i dont know if any of you notice this as well (heck you guys probably have an official term for it who am i foolin lol) when i listen to drums, guitar and other instrumentals during a heavy drum, i can actually hear it distorting...almost like a millisecond of crackle

now i KNOW that NONE of my friends would be able to hear this as i have tried having them listen and they all say "they sound good to me man i dont know what your talking about"

im terribly picky or somethign when it comes to sound cause i can pick up on every last detail that should be there or shouldnt be there, analyze it and immediately it aggravates me lol

this drum line problem frustrates me terribly cause i have no common ground with anyone lol they all say its sounds great lol

i can here very noticeable distortion during huge bass notes in dubstep as well

im simply asking first off, if anyone here knows what im talking about lol and what is the solution?

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #19 of 32

Quote:
If this doesnt work out im definitely planning on getting better headphones for xmas :)

ok here the thing...i have the sennheiser hd428's...i think ultimately they have some good sound...i think the bass is lacking (when holy crap compared to beats) but just slightly lacking

but this is the thing....i dont know if any of you notice this as well (heck you guys probably have an official term for it who am i foolin lol) when i listen to drums, guitar and other instrumentals during a heavy drum, i can actually hear it distorting...almost like a millisecond of crackle

now i KNOW that NONE of my friends would be able to hear this as i have tried having them listen and they all say "they sound good to me man i dont know what your talking about"

im terribly picky or somethign when it comes to sound cause i can pick up on every last detail that should be there or shouldnt be there, analyze it and immediately it aggravates me lol

this drum line problem frustrates me terribly cause i have no common ground with anyone lol they all say its sounds great lol

i can here very noticeable distortion during huge bass notes in dubstep as well

im simply asking first off, if anyone here knows what im talking about lol and what is the solution?

What you are hearing could very well be a "flaw" in the recording itself. Nothing can fix that completely say maybe another recording of the song (remaster). And the more revealing your headphones are, the more often you will notice these things. My open-back denon 5000s are terrible when it comes to ripping apart music and showing you every last detail and flaw. When I say terrible I mean its so good at it that it can get irritating. But on good recordings they sound amazing (this is on lossless files mind you). So if you give crap to my denons, you'll get a polished turd back.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #20 of 32
well here the update...

i have been experimenting around with my hd428's and trying different media players (when from my iphone 4 to now my ipod classic 30gb and for WHATEVER reason, btw the classic is noticeably louder) and with eq setting (i normally have eq turned off entirely IMO it sounds better) and when i select "rock", there seems to be a great decrease in volume level first off and second off this is where more noticeable distortion is introduced

just screwing around i turned it to "bass booster" and the bass distortion is overwhelming

now heres the thing...i realize what is going on when i set it to "bass boost" thats all frequencies about 150 hz and lower on the equalizer band SIGNIFICANTLY raised...BUT....please get me if im wrong....i cant help but to feel that that fact is completely irrelevant in a way....shouldnt high quality headphones be able to really blast the bass if they are powered properly?

i have not recieved my cmoy amp yet but i was just wondering, why would apple (or any company for this matter) include an eq that will cause distortion regardless of headphone quality or if they are getting the power they need or not

i guess im simply asking if the distortion is caused my lack of power to my headphones and if the amp will significantly help/cure this issue as i see this in all genres of music

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #21 of 32
I got my amp today and whoever said it wouldn't make a difference was correct :frowning2: lol

I can tell a SLIGHT noticeable improvement of quality on the highs but absolutely nodifference in bass what so ever lol (WEEEEIIIIRRRD) totally saw this going the other way lol

Anyway, christmas is very close sink will make this short...

I need headphones that will have the bass that beats by dre have and at the same time have very good kids and highs in the $300 range, denon d2000's were mentioned....I'm just puzzled that absolutely no other brands makes or models were mentioned but if these are it I will put em' on my list....these hd428's are soooo lacking in bass when compared to beats and I WANT that bass (don't judge :wink: lol)

So lets hear some suggestions thanks guys

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #23 of 32

lol. Don't waste your money on the beats. I saved my friend from making that mistake. He says "the denons are on a completely different level of sound quality than the beats." He even saved money as well.
Quote:
I got my amp today and whoever said it wouldn't make a difference was correct :frowning2: lol

I can tell a SLIGHT noticeable improvement of quality on the highs but absolutely nodifference in bass what so ever lol (WEEEEIIIIRRRD) totally saw this going the other way lol

Anyway, christmas is very close sink will make this short...

I need headphones that will have the bass that beats by dre have and at the same time have very good kids and highs in the $300 range, denon d2000's were mentioned....I'm just puzzled that absolutely no other brands makes or models were mentioned but if these are it I will put em' on my list....these hd428's are soooo lacking in bass when compared to beats and I WANT that bass (don't judge :wink: lol)

So lets hear some suggestions thanks guys

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #25 of 32

Quote:
Ok so I'm sold on the D2000's only thing stopping me is where to find them new for under $300 lol any ideas?

Amazon no go and eBay has only a couple sales both to which are used blaahh lol

Yeah that could be a problem lol. Trying to find them as well.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #26 of 32
im assuming denon no longer manufactures them? and that nobody is even planning to carry them anymore even though they listed as "out of stock" or "currently unavailable"....i think a lot of people are holding there breath for an item that is no longer :frowning2:

only prices im seeing are all identical.....$350 and since they are all the same why wouldnt i go straight to denon website and grab them lol

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #27 of 32
i just noticed that the deonon d2000' are merely 25 ohm?   i thought the higher the impedance the better?.....i swear ti thought the first time i looked at these they were 300 ohm....must have been looking at something else

could i have somebody's 2 cents about impedance?

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #28 of 32

Quote:
i just noticed that the deonon d2000' are merely 25 ohm?   i thought the higher the impedance the better?.....i swear ti thought the first time i looked at these they were 300 ohm....must have been looking at something else

could i have somebody's 2 cents about impedance?

Even though the impedance is a bit low its still harder to drive the denons. They denons open up with an amp. using it on an underpowered source will not yield good results. Also the denons take a long time to burn in. Well over 200 hours. More like 300. They get more refined than stock over time. I haven't found any 2000s but DAKMart has the 5000s and 7000s refurb. If you are in America square trade has 2 year warranties for such things.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #29 of 32
Idk.....there is really truthfully only 1 concern. Have with paying for more headphones period let alone this expensive of pair....

That concern merely, do you think I will be able to tell a difference in quality vs my sends hd428....only reason I'm concerned is cause I went in a Bose shop last weekend to try their qc15's in order to decide between them and the beats (because I have tried my fiends beats long enough to well form an accurate opinion with them with multiple genres) and I walked back out of Bose in negative surprise that I did not notice a difference and I thought I had remembered them sounding better then that last time lol (of course all I had to compare them to the 1st time were $20 Sony earbuds LMAO)

Fact remains though.....this time I was comparing them to my hd428's and could tell no audible difference (except for noise cancellation which I care less about if it takes away from quality) so I was like What.....I'm really wondering now wether better quality headphones exist now lol

Remember metal, rock, techno......bass needs to be powerful if/when I need it to be but Nooot distorting for god sake (my 428's do this it annoys the hell outta me) 

Last but not least IF I have to pay full $350 for these do you guys REALISTLY TRUETHFULLY feel they are worth it and that I will tell a difference as this will be the last headphone purchase for a WHILE thanks

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #30 of 32
Do I think they are worth $350.00? In reality I wouldn't pay that much. I got my Denon 5000s on sale last year from Amazon for $399.00. That was a major discount from the $700.00 base price so I grabbed those. I think they come with a 2 year warranty. If you got a refurb from Dakmart it would be a lot cheaper and you'd have some warranty as its from the factory. I had mentioned square trade because that would give you more time. Same 2 year warranty. But square trade will refund you your money in the event something were to happen. I figure its worth that extra peace of mind; not to mention it makes DAPs like the Hifiman and T51 viable long term options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back