Would I be happier with an amp or the UE-10's?
Jul 7, 2007 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SLCentral

Head-Fier
I currently own the UE-5c's, and they are sheer bliss when listening to, but I do seem some places where they can improve, mainly in the highs, and the soundstage feels a little weak to me. I'm currently using them unamped from my iBook and my iPod, which I realize isn't the best source, but from what I've read, IEM's don't require the amping that full headphones need, and I've managed to get by without an amp for the year that I've owned them.

I'm starting to itch for an upgrade though. Would I be better off buying a Tomahawk for ~$300, or whatever they're going for now, or go all the way and get the UE-10? I've read the reviews on Head-Fi comparing the two, and have heard responses ranging from "they're not significantly different," to "I sent the UE-5c's back immediately." I'm a little confused as to what I should do; I'm no audiophile, but IEM's are my only source of music, and since I'm often on the go, they're a much better option for me over a full size set of cans, and would love to have the best quality.

Also, any reason as to why the UE-5c's seem to be discontinued by UE? What's the difference between the UE-5c's and the 5 pros?

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 4
The difference between the UE5c's and the 5 Pro's are that the UE5c's are custom molded, so the drivers are aimed in the optimal postion for YOUR EARS. Plus Theyr emuch more comfortable. Now as for your original question, I'd get the Tomahawk. Youre spending 1/3 of the money, and getting something far more necessary, an amp. Getting UE10 Pro's and not having an amp to go with them is like owning a race car that governs at the speed limit. Theyll still sound great, but you cant REALLY open them up without an amp. Your UE5c's will sound GREAT paired with an amp. Give Ray a call
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference between the UE5c's and the 5 Pro's are that the UE5c's are custom molded, so the drivers are aimed in the optimal postion for YOUR EARS. Plus Theyr emuch more comfortable. Now as for your original question, I'd get the Tomahawk. Youre spending 1/3 of the money, and getting something far more necessary, an amp. Getting UE10 Pro's and not having an amp to go with them is like owning a race car that governs at the speed limit. Theyll still sound great, but you cant REALLY open them up without an amp. Your UE5c's will sound GREAT paired with an amp. Give Ray a call
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your advice
smily_headphones1.gif
. Right now I'm leaning toward the amp as well, but the UE-10's just look so damn sexy.

I was actually referring to the custom 5-Pro though, not the Super.Fi 5 pro (which I also own). It looks like the UE-5c is off of the UE website, but the 5-pro is still there, for $700, and I'm curious as to the differences between the two.

Jul 7, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 4
As much as I like my UE-10's, I'd second the opinion to go for the amp. Another reason for that is that the UE-11s are coming out, and if they turn out to better the UE10s, you'll be glad you waited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back