Would I be crazy for doing this?(Soundcard Help Please)
Oct 6, 2010 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Shark50521

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Fubar and Cute Beyond rig that I use with my DT990/600's. I have been considering a "sidegrade" to a Essence STX. Do you think I would be losing a lot of sound quality by doing this or do you guys think I would be ok. My other question is can you use the analog and headphone out at the same time as it annoys me to no end to have to switch out rcas to go between my speakers and headphones.

Edit: I'm also thinking of picking up a cheaper tube amp to use with the stx if I felt like I needed it.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 7
I currently have a Fubar and Cute Beyond rig that I use with my DT990/600's. I have been considering a "sidegrade" to a Essence STX. Do you think I would be losing a lot of sound quality by doing this or do you guys think I would be ok.

You'd be okay but I'm guessing you lose some sound quality.  I have the STX and upgraded to a Stello DA100 Signature and a Burson HA-160, use the STX as a transport and yes, their addition improved the sound quality but I can't say about the Fubar or the Cute Beyond rig you have.

For a computer sound card rig, the STX is a hard one to beat.  Used them to drive a pair of HD-650's.

My other question is can you use the analog and headphone out at the same time as it annoys me to no end to have to switch out rcas to go between my speakers and headphones.

Can't say.  I'm using the Coax out and the Coax and the headphones are on the same switch in the Xonar Audio Center and I have just the one 1/4" headphone plug.  So I can't say if trying to use them both, at the same time, would fry the STX onboard amp.

basshead.gif

Edit: I'm also thinking of picking up a cheaper tube amp to use with the STX if I felt like I needed it.

Somebody else will have to weigh in on the tube thought of yours.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
snip  
For a computer sound card rig, the STX is a hard one to beat.  Used them to drive a pair of HD-650's.

snip

Do you think it'd have trouble driving a 600 ohm headphone?

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 7
Do you think it'd have trouble driving a 600 ohm headphone?

Nope, it sure wouldn't.  And the reason why, the high gain setting on the STX is conveniently designed to power 300-600 Ohm cans.

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I currently have a Fubar and Cute Beyond rig that I use with my DT990/600's. I have been considering a "sidegrade" to a Essence STX. Do you think I would be losing a lot of sound quality by doing this or do you guys think I would be ok. My other question is can you use the analog and headphone out at the same time as it annoys me to no end to have to switch out rcas to go between my speakers and headphones.

Edit: I'm also thinking of picking up a cheaper tube amp to use with the stx if I felt like I needed it.

No, you can use them at the same time. I have my headphones plugged in at all times. The STX interface has a toggle on it, which allows you to switch from one to the other, as seen in the picture below. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back