Would I be able to use this as a headphone amplifier?
Jun 19, 2011 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

justinlam

New Head-Fier
I bought this amplifier kit and I'd like to know what its capabilities are.   I was going to make a CMoy headphone amp but remembered that I bought this a while ago and never did anything with it.  This is by no means a top-notch amp, but I was just wondering what I could get away with by using this.  

Specs:

music power output: 7W / 4ohm
RMS output: 3.5W / 4ohm or 2W / 8ohm
total harmonic distortion: 0.05% (1W / 1kHz)
frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz (-3dB)
signal/noise ratio: 86dB (A weighted)
input sensitivity: 40mV / 150Kohm
overload and short-circuit protected
supply voltage: 15V DC (8 to 18V DC possible) / 0.5A
dimensions: 2.2 x 1.4"

I'm assuming that this would be good enough for use as a headphone amp?  Would I be able to run this off a 9V battery? 

I'm no audiophile (yet); just looking to get a bit more out of my listening experience.  I plan on getting a pair of Grado SR80i's.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 6
Jun 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 6
The OP's amp's power is actually lower than a bunch of the high power headphone amps (M^3, B22, SDS {the sheldon D stokes mosfet predecessor to the M3, not the singlepower amp}, Dynahi, and probably a few more) into 4 ohms. With the 40mv input sensitivity it is VERY easy to make this guy go loud though. 

I would be concerned with the noise with lowish impedance dynamic headphones, it may work well with orthos though. 

The hard part of audio is not getting lots of power, the hard part is getting good power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back