Would I appreciate a FiiO E17?
May 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Cam3ron

Member of the Trade
I have never owned any "audiophile" DAC. The time that the sound connection broke on my PC and I had to install a sound card from 03 was probably the closest I ever got. 

A while back I posted a thread asking if I would really appreciate good headphones, and I do, so now I'm wondering if I would really appreciate a DAC such as the E17. I'm thinking of it strictly as a DAC because my PA2V2 covers all my amplification needs amazingly well. I will be using it mostly for PC/Laptop use and maybe with my PS3. 

Anyways, I just want to know if it's worth the $200 I would have to pay for my uses and if there are any alternatives that might be DAC only or cheaper. 

May 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 6
Just to put things into perspective for you, currently I enjoy listening to my iPod Classic vs. my PC, which is a bit of a let down.

May 12, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 6
The Fiio E17 would work fine as a DAC/amp for use with a PC or Laptop and with your PS3.
But the E17 can not use it's DAC feature with apple portable audio players, just the Amp.
It cost $500 for something to take over the DAC functions from a portable apple product.

May 12, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
The Fiio E17 would work fine as a DAC/amp for use with a PC or Laptop and with your PS3.
But the E17 can not use it's DAC feature with apple portable audio players, just the Amp.
It cost $500 for something to take over the DAC functions from a portable apple product.

Yes I am well aware of this, I've spent hours trying to figure out how to get a digital signal from my iPod cheaply, but sadly that isn't really possible without something as big as my PC anyways. I know the E17 would work, I just want to know if it's worth it and if I would really appreciate it. Like I spent $50 on a Line-out setup for my tablet, which made no difference, but then I spend $30 on my HTF-600s and it's been the best $30 I've ever spent. 

May 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 6
I have a PA2V2 and a E17 but i've never tried pairing those  together on  a desktop setup. If i get around to it i'll definitely let you know how it turns out. 

You are using this only for PC right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back