Would flat pads improve my SR-80's?
Apr 11, 2004 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got 30 bucks in the mail from relatives for Easter (nice!) and was wondering if the flat pads would be a worthwhile investment. I've been using my bowls until now and like their sound, but I'm wondering if and how the flat pads would improve the sound.

If not, more CD's for me, but I've got enough listening material as of right now.

Apr 11, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 17
I got the modded Sennheiser pads which I've heard are more similar to the flat pads than the bowls, and it definitely changed the sound. I personally liked it better...it narrowed the soundstage down a bit but really brought out a lot more detail. Your mileage may vary, but I think the SR-80's are good enough headphones that they can definitely benefit from different pads.

Apr 11, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 17
I wonder if I would benefit from the vwap pads? Supposedly they have the flat pad sound but with better comfort.

Apr 11, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 17
MD1032, vwap pads are modded Senn 414 pads except with a black dye (the Senn pads are bright yellow).

I used modded RadioShack pads on my SR225s and eventually liked them better than the bowl pads. The sound was more detailed and warmer and the bass more impactful. Bringing the drivers closer to your ears seems to help a bit with Grados. If you are unsure if you want to spend $30 on flat pads, spend the $3 or so at RadioShack to get their largest size foam replacement earpads, cut a quarter size hole in the center of them, and try those out. They should at least give you a taste of what the flat pads might be like.

Apr 11, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 17
Well, I found the link a while back for the Senn HD-414 pad replacements:

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...categ=Cushions

(Scroll down to H-19545)

Maybe I should grab those first. Still, how do you cut the whole in the center properly? Do I just put a quarter there and hack away with a knife? Then I would have uneven edges.

Apr 11, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
MD1032, vwap pads are modded Senn 414 pads except with a black dye (the Senn pads are bright yellow).

I used modded RadioShack pads on my SR225s and eventually liked them better than the bowl pads. The sound was more detailed and warmer and the bass more impactful. Bringing the drivers closer to your ears seems to help a bit with Grados. If you are unsure if you want to spend $30 on flat pads, spend the $3 or so at RadioShack to get their largest size foam replacement earpads, cut a quarter size hole in the center of them, and try those out. They should at least give you a taste of what the flat pads might be like.

Donovan,

Not to refute your opinions, but rather giving my experience with the modded Radioshack pads..

I recently bought the Radioshack replacement pads and cut a hole the size of a dollar coin at the center.. And then, with great expectation, I put them on my 225s to replace the bowl pads.. but, I was really disappointed with the sound the Radioshack pads gave me.. They were very comfortable, but the sound detail was greatly compromised, though I got a little more bass.. I don't know why this happened to me, contrary to your experience of an increase in detail with the Shack pads..

I promptly took them off, and was back to the bowl pads, once more hearing better detail. I was actually looking at getting the flat pads or VWAP mod pads myself, but if the Shack pads sound very much like the Grado Flats, I guess I would save my 30+ bucks towards a better amp down the road..

Just sharing my experience, not to offend anyone, but rather to make a point that everyone may not like the sound of the replacement pads, but should try for themselves to see if they like it.. IMVHO..

-raaj

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 17
raaj, I have never heard the flat pads so I don't know how they sound in comparison to the modded RS pads but I did notice my impressions of the RS pads were similar to what I read of others opinions of the Senn pads and flat pads. This would make sense since the real differences between the various pads is how close the driver is placed to your ears (unmodded RS pads, unmodded Senns, and Grado comfies excepted). The RS pads probably bring the drivers the closest to your ears since the foam is so thin and compressable. I imagine the flat pads and Senn pads would sound just slightly closer to the bowl pads compared to the RS pads since they seem to have thicker material than the RS pads. The brightness of the bowl pads gave an impression of detail, but I heard more real detail when I changed to the modded RS pads. But the bowl pads were far more comfortable to me, the RS pads kept slipping and I had to constantly readjust the headphones. The bowl pads fit my ears almost circumaurally and were quite comfortable to me and at least stayed in place. The good thing about Grados is that it is very easy to change their sound, but like with anything to do with sound not everybody will like every replacement pad option.

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 17
I think flat pads still offer the best sound – slightly better than the vwap (modded Senn), much better than the modded RS and leagues better than the bowls (let's not even mention the lousy sound of the modded comfies). While the vwap pad is the most comfortable, the flat pad is nearly as cozy, and the better sound of the flats (IMO) is a worthy trade-off. The stock bowl pad has the distinction of being both uncomfortable and shrill-sounding (again some people disagree with my opinion regarding the flat/bowl pads). I'm a flat pad fan to the death (except on the MS1 and MS Pro - bowls sound better on these, IMO).

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 17
So I should go for it then? I hope these things are really worth 30 bucks.

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 17
Like with all things in this hobby, you have to spend the cash to find out for sure
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
Well, I found the link a while back for the Senn HD-414 pad replacements:

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...categ=Cushions

(Scroll down to H-19545)

Maybe I should grab those first. Still, how do you cut the whole in the center properly? Do I just put a quarter there and hack away with a knife? Then I would have uneven edges.

Just order these. Almost everyone says that the difference in soundquality isn't much. So you'll save a lot of money.

About the hole cutting. Put the pad with the side your ears will touch facing the surface you lay them on down (difficult sentence , hope you understand it). Press the coin firmly on the foam. Use a sharp small knife with a sharp point. Cut carefully around it, the point of the knife pointing down and pointing a bit towards the coin. It won't be completely round but it will be pretty decent.

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
Just order these. Almost everyone says that the difference in soundquality isn't much. So you'll save a lot of money.

About the hole cutting. Put the pad with the side your ears will touch facing the surface you lay them on down (difficult sentence , hope you understand it).

Just to clarify - do you mean to put the pads 'face down' onto the surface (face meaning the side your ears touch). And then to cut through from the back of the pads (from the side which will face the headphones)?

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 17
I've found removing my pads alltogether seems to bring out the best sounds from my SR60s. I made some cloth coverings for the cans so as not to rub and irrate my ears. It also relieves some pressure from the clamping force of the headphones.

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 17
All right, HD-414 pads it is. I'll use the rest of the money to order myself "Scenes from a Memory", which I've been wanting.

I also haven't tried sock modding, but I think it would be more popular if it truly was an effective method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back